Country
I am looking at a 200sx, s15 spec s GT
it isnt tuned, has a stock ecu chip
has a Greddy Profec B-Spec 2 Boost Controller and its set to 15 psi

it has all the usual mods, FMIC, Full TBE, HD clutch

im just worried that its too high on the boost, that it could do damage

Reaction score
Country
only if you run 98 oct, and a high flow fuel pump, 14 would be better, and in the summer when your air gets really hot (high 20's - 30s) i would only push 12.
Better to have a map which is setup for what your can can do at what rev/boost bla bla, if you are really worried install a wideband O2 to a display in front of you

Reaction score
Country
the problem is i dont own the car, i am just checking it out
so i dont know how its driven, personally im satisfied with running 9psi boost

Reaction score
Country
home truth time, its a silvia, unless its had one old granny in its entire time its been thrashed, its just how much is the part you will never find out. Just do a compression test and that normal sort of thing, but dont look for a non thrashed silvia it will be like trying to find a flea on a elephants ass

Reaction score
Country
you are too right, im just trying to avoid lemons and big obvious mistakes
so i was wondering if an untuned car running 15pounds is a big red flag

Reaction score
Country
big red flag...not really, i had my car on a dyno just to see pre mod power figures and if the stock map was safe running 14psi, and it checked out OK, not perfect as in building a map from scratch, but ok as in its not going to blow up anytime soon. What you dont know is if the previous owner ran 98 oct and if he ragged it in really hot air. My car got tested with a walbro fuel pump, 98oct, with a air temp of 16C and the tuner who happens to be one of the best in NZ said it was OK like that, so dont panic. If the engine feels and sound good, no smoke, not funny rattle noises they you are probably all good. Most of the cars i have brought i have had to go over and fix up muppetisem modifications and then it ran better, if you buy these type of cars then expect to fix stuff

Reaction score
Country
.6 - .7 bar is stock so 9-10psi perfectly safe boost on a fuel like 95 - 96, personally i would never run 91 in a boosted car

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
15psi on a stock tune is pushing the limits but probably still ok. As spoonman said, you will never know it's history, unless you know the person who owns it. If you are not 100% happy, don't buy it.

Reaction score
Country
if you own a blue S15 then 14psi is OK not ideal but OK, if you own a white S15 then you are asking for trouble..........

Reaction score
Country
thanks a lot for the help guys

if i buy it, would it be good enough if i just set it to low boost, or should i get the stock ECU remapped
or does it have to be tuned (upgrade ecu with a motherboard add on like Nistune or whatever)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you can set it to about 12psi and you should be safe with the stock ECU. If you want to tune it and up the boost you will have to upgrade the ECU and get it tuned properly.

Reaction score
If you want to go the Nistune option then wait till you have all your mods on then get it tuned to those mods.

Reaction score
Country
without a tune thats starting to push it a bit, not sure if im correct but if it has stock injectors they could be possibly maxing out and it could be running lean with that amount of boost going through it