What's new

What are the signs of the turbo going?

Reaction score
Country
Had a problem for a few months now and I think my turbo may need rebuilding as it may have play in it .how much am I looking for a rebuild or a new unit?also what are the common signs to a turbo packing in?

when I put my foot down I have a high pitch noise which I thought was a air leak but my friend seems to think the turbo does this when it's going,also now an again the turbo won't come in but only if I put my foot down suddenly as its fine if I gradually put it down.

anyone ever heard of this before?driving me crazy as I want it sorted to get it mapped

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Same situation as me my mechanic suggested the same thing high pitched noise when coming on boost = turbo on its way. Also smoke on boost is another.
Owen developments just quoted me to rebuild mine and they are garrett approved also.
What they said Hi Chris

Yes we do offer a standard rebuild
We charge £65.00 to strip/quote and standard rebuilds start at £395.00GBP if work carried out we waver the £65.00GBP
Hope that helps bud

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Mine makes a hi pitch noise on boost, mainly on 70% throttle hitting boost. It sounds abit odd and is more like a leak than just the turbo but I have no leaks so must be turbo related! I'm of to google it!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah I thought mine was a leak also but polo took it out and Said it sound alike it's on it way out so gonna check it for play over the weekend. If it is then I will order my new tub

Reaction score
Country
well im glad its not guna cost absolutely shed loads but must mean its been on its way out for months :O i think theres a place near by that can rebuild engines/turbos etc so il have to get on to them to get a idea of what they charge,im having it checked the weekend for play etc but it does sound like the problem as ive been though everything else.well i hope it is anyway :)

Reaction score
Country
you know when a turbo is blown, cause you hear ting ting bang ting bang donk.......... thats the sound of the exhaust wheel somewhere near the rear muffler

Reaction score
Country
its cool.had it checked the weekend and there was play in it and noise when we span it so i should have another arriving today :D and getting it fitted monday.be happy to get the silv back in running order :).

Reaction score
Country
you have had a few issue with that car..... you need a clear run so you can enjoy it more

Reaction score
Country
I've got the same think, sounds like a boiling kettle on boost, so it it a turbo thing ?

Reaction score
Country
I take the elbow of the front of the turbo not that long ago and it's done it since then, mite take it off and fit a new gasket

Reaction score
Country
yeah its the blades touching the sides mate and making that noise :) i think for the past few monthds this has been the route of all my problems but never thought it would be the turbo because there was no smoke etc

Reaction score
Country
****! Well ill take it all apart and have a look. I would now as well if it smoked or not as run shotguns with no cats :) lol. Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Country
well ive just got my car back with a new turbo fitted and the high pitch noise is still there and obviously cant go too crazy putting my foot down and i need to run it in.but its still annoying me :(.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Is it there all the time on boost? Or only when you really build it on part throttle and then gun it quickly!

Reaction score
Country
i took it out last night for a good long run and seems to have made alot of difference so its sorted some things :).but yeah its mainly when i put my foot down suddenly to be honest.if i build it up its fine.im guessing a small leak somewhere?

Reaction score
Country
dont worry i put my dump valve back on and for some reason the noise has gone so before i took it off it couldnt of been on there 100%.