What's new

Dmax boot spoiler owners! Bit of help needed.

Reaction score
Ok story is I got a Dmax boot spoiler from Japan a few weeks ago. I checked the fitment before I sent it for paint and it seemed pretty good. So I sent it off for paint and I was waiting 4 weeks for it because he was very busy. I got it back yesterday and went about checking fitment again and it's poor enough now. Seems to sit ok on the boot when it's open but when I close it, the spoiler hits off the lights and doesn't sit right on the boot.
So I have a couple of questions. Firstly can fibre glass warp if its left standing for a period of time ie 4 weeks? I'm asking because I'm wondering was it thrown somewhere for the 4 weeks he had it.
Secondly, how we'll do all your boot spoilers fit? Was it a simple enough job to fit or did the spoiler need modifying?
And lastly would it be possible for someone with a boot spoiler to take a few pics of fitment for me especially around the lights?
Thanks for any help!:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Well I don't have this spoiler but fibreglass can definitely warp in that space of time if its not been stored correctly!

Reaction score
Ya I'm starting to think he had it standing in the corner for the 4 weeks and it had warped. I didn't spend too long offering it up before paint but I would definitely have noticed if it was out by the amount it is now. Very frustrating stuff!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah that is frustrating mate and not what you expect from a body shop, you expect it to come back better than when it left , not worse.. Hope you can sort it out dude you could always leave it overnight with a bit of weight( nothing too heavy) on the ends of it to slightly bend it back a bit depends how bad it is don't want to crack the paint obviously.

Reaction score
Thing is though I can't be entirely certain if this is what has happened. Should have spent more time test fitting it prior to paint but I'm nearly certain the fitment has worsened since he has had it. May try a bit of weight actually, I might use a bit of heat on the paint. He went test fitting it when I picked it up and he said 'try fitting it yourself but I'd say you'll be back to me to fit it.' Haven't paid for the paint yet either so he's basically waiting for me to come back and get him to fit it and give him even more money. Ill see how it goes when I go trying to fit it anyway.Anybody with this same spoiler care to shed some light on my queries?

Last edited:

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Unjust hit mine untill it looked right and silicone'd it in place . It just sits above the lights and I also have over fenders.

Reaction score
Unjust hit mine untill it looked right and silicone'd it in place . It just sits above the lights and I also have over fenders.

I presume when you were hitting it the spoiler had not been painted yet? How did you go about hitting it? Stupid question probably but I'm new to fibre glass so don't want to do any damage. I'm thinking if I build up a slightly thicker layer of silicone underneath it then it might raise it those couple of mm I need to clear the lights? Don't want it looking too high and out of line either though. Right I think the plan is to put some weight on it tonight when I'm finished work see if I can bow it back the other way slightly and go at it in the morning. May try adjusting the boot lid and lights also.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Sorry man I was joking about. Mine didnt need any modification to fit. Als my car is a track car so I wasn't to bothered about the fitment. Luckily it fitted ok.

On a serious note. If your spoiler is hitting the lights then you will need to raise it up abit. You can use foam or filler to add to it. Can you not get a body shop to fit it?

Reaction score
Really don't want to take it back to him to fit it though because he'll only charge me even more. And I can't accuse him of damaging it because I've no way of proving it so theres no point going down that route. Ill go at it myself in th morning and see how it goes.

Reaction score
I ended up doing my dmax roof spoiler after a body shop ****ed it up.

Do it yourself it wont be that hatd just a bit of filler on the bottom will do
I had a bit of trouble fitting my roof spoiler as well but that was a dmax replica and i was told that fitment was a bit off so I was expecting a bit of fiddling around. Never used or worked with filler before but ill have to start somewhere haha. Hopefully trying to warp it back again might work first.