What's new

propshaft question....

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
OKies, so im having my clutch swapped out at the mo but a call from the garage doing the work has suggested ive got excessive play around the propshaft center bearing / bush.. According to Nissan its £250 quid plus a 4 to 5 week wait for parts lol :D.

So, im just trying to get my head around what causes the play, is it the carrier and bushing or the actual bearing itself or a combination of both? Are these difficult to change baring in mind I will be looking to do this post clutch change now...? Any part numbers or exploded pics of the prop and center support?

Pretty vague post I know but just trying to understand whats what as can honestly say, all the times ive been under the car ive never looked at the prop carrier! :confused:

I suppose another question would be is does anyone have a second hand prop with bearing and carrier that's in good nick as I guess this would be a cheaper and easier replacement option? Just weighing up my choices :)

Cheers

J.

Reaction score
Country
this (link below) is 30GBP......... in my country............. im sure you can find a cheaper source in the UK,. It does not have to be a genuine one from japan what the hell kind of place told you that crap, best you go see someone who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/diffs-axles/auction-598065024.htm

on another point, you are paying someone to change your clutch for you????? jack up the car get some tools and just do it yourself, that's why there is a service manual in the useful guide links on this forum.

These bearings are easy to do by the way

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Thanks for the link :) Usefull to know and I will do some digging to see what I can find in regard to sourcing a new one. Judging from that link then the skyline center bearing is a direct replacement?

That info actually came from Nissan UK..!!! They do have their wobbles from time to time in regard to S15 parts so I guess this was one of them.

The clutch is being done by a friend of mine who has a garage mainly on the grounds that I cant be bothered to drop the box with the car on axel stands on my drive way. Been there before and for the sake of a few quid and a quick turn around, im more than happy for someone else to do it this time... lazy i know but there ya go :)

Reaction score
Country
im not sure if every model is interchangeable its more of a " they are available for all these models"

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Well thanks for the heads up on this :)

Further digging and it appears Nissan did share the center bearing across alot of the range.. And.. Convieniently, the R32, 33 and 34 GTR center bearing / bushing all fit the S15.

So, found one for £42 (not a nissan Item I might add) and will see how it goes next weekend when I get time to swap it out. If it works, brilliant, If not, then Its only £42 and easy to return.. We shall see! :)

Thanks again for the advice, muchly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Country
glad we could save you heaps of $$ not everything in life has to be expensive