What's new

New to S15s, question about diffs...

Reaction score
Country
Evening all,

I'm picking up an S15 this weekend, and it has a locked diff. I think I'd be better off with an LSD as I have no intention of drifting it.

I would ideally want to trade with someone who wants a locked diff but has an LSD. Just wondering how I can tell the make of the locked diff when I get it.

I'm guessing I'll have to drain oil, remove a casing of some sort and get pictures, but are locked diffs a sought after item and will I struggle to trade it?

Or can I just remove a component to 'unlock' the diff, presuming it isn't welded..?

Reaction score
Do you mean it's welded or shimmed?
If its standard diff with shims.. Just remove shims and away you go

Reaction score
Country
or if its a 2way made by tomei, you will have not prob selling it, if its just a welded up open then just keep it as some where down the track you will want to do a bit of sliding on a track. if you have no intention of drifting i recommend the helical LSD compared with the viscous LSD, very easy to swap a R200 head

Reaction score
Country
Sweet, ill wait for a reply from the seller, see if I can find out a bit more info on it. Cheers

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yep 2 way LSD's are sought after. I paid £500 for my r33 nismo 2way in S15 casing with R33 stronger shafts.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
If its a decent 2 way keep it, they are fine for normal driving in my opinion.. I've got the Nismo GT pro 2 way diff and I don't find it a problem for normal driving..

Reaction score
Country
I've been told it's a helical diff so am assuming it's and LSD. Will have to check it out when I can get it on a ramp next week.