What's new

Rough running problems

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
This has just started recently after I thought I cured it with my splitfire coil packs. Basically I start car when cold it will run fine then start popping once or twice and then run really rough like a coil pack but I've unplugged each one when it does it and it goes worst!

Secondly could be driving along in a high gear say 6th but doing about 2,300 Rpm and it will do it again the whole gearbox shakes and it's like a hesitation feel in the engine but can power through it and it goes away.

so confused what it could be!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Who are you ;) yer I remember not to sure really bit of a judder I would say and as you power through it goes. Then wont come back for another few days

Reaction score
Country
Do the spitfires have their own ignition amplifier? COuld be that or I've had a faulty knock sensor that made my car run like a bag of nails also.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
No just plug and play like the old coil packs. Was thinking knock sensor, and maybe O2 sensor?

Reaction score
Country
Not sure about o2 sensor as never had to play with one. If the s15 is like the s14a the standard knock sensor really doesn't do a lot and can be bypassed to see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Country
Jez Horsham did mine so not 100% sure but think he unplugged it and just bridged the plug to fool it in to thinking it was working. Worth looking it up though as I could be wrong. I had a bad hangover that day :(

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
did you change your plugs as well when you upgraded the coil packs? I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a hair line crack in a spark plug, so it was arching which caused the juddering..

Reaction score
Country
Could also be the actual wiring loom for the packs breaking down. Mine was doing that until I cable tied it all down solid so it can't move.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Yer i changed them before it did the juddering on the old plugs then again on the new plugs, but got some new ones in the garage so could try them out maybe a dodgy plug.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Could also be the actual wiring loom for the packs breaking down. Mine was doing that until I cable tied it all down solid so it can't move.
well i did a while back cut the cables and re-soldered them together, might look at getting a new loom. They have been earthed though by an HKS earthing kit.

Just looked £54 for a new nissan coil loom, do they do uprated ones?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
The only uprated one I've seen is the yashio factory one and that's £170ish off Rhdjapan. I tried a s14 one but that was blowing fuses so must be different pin layout.

I was thinking about getting the crimps and new plugs and making myself one up. I'm sure there's a guide on Google somewhere as I've had a hunt already.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Yer making them should be simple, it's happening more often now. Seems fuelling, ignition problem as its like a hesitation in power and a misfire effect

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
No just plug and play like the old coil packs. Was thinking knock sensor, and maybe O2 sensor?
If its below 2.5k rpm (or thereabouts) and at idle, but when on full throttle above said rpm. I would go with the O2 sensor first. Do you have datascan, it's easy to check it with that?

If you need a replacement Jez at Horsham Developments can post you one.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fixed my issues when I had a rough idle and hesitation misfiring below 2,5k and idle.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Yes it does have rough idle and if I keep the throttle at around 1k rpm it feels like a bit of a shake feel in the car same as the hesitation.