What's new

Greddy magnetic sump plug *WARNING*

Reaction score
G
Decided to change the oil today in the S15 and pulled the Greddy sump plug out.
This is the 3rd oil change I have done since fitting the magnetic sump plug.

Putting it back in, I just started to put some tightening pressure on it with a small socket wrench after doing 3/4 up by hand.

It then just let go, WTF, I then undid it one turn to which I could see it had sheared off.

Now, I'm not one to over tighten nuts and as said this was only the 3rd undo and tighten

Fortunately because I had only just put intial tightening to it I was able to insert a Alan Key into the hollow and extract it.

So be warned, if you have one throw it away, they are a POS........

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
They're all crap. The only decent ones are solid steel with integral magnet fitted and the metal edges folded over to hold it in place, like you get on diffs and gearboxes. These alloy plugs are trouble, no strength...

Reaction score
Country
****sake i've just bought one of these as well... Also - doesn't look like it collects much swarf anyway.

Reaction score
As Dean said, when you see how thin the alloy metal bolt is, as it has to accomodate the magnetic insert, you realise that it could not take regular tightening for long. Who would not put at least a reasonable amount of torque on a sump bolt that holds all your engine oil in.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Makes no sense as you say you would put want to tighten it well. I think I will just stick with the standard then thanks again for the heads up mate!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
My drift works one did this! 2nd oil change. Looks very similar to that greddy one. I've stuck with standard.

I also wander how long the greddy baffled ally sump threads last too? Ally is just too soft.

subzero

Reaction score
ive bought one of the ebay yokes and this fine after 3 or 4 removals hmmm.

they do work though , had an engine in another car start to go and it gathered some amount of filings on the sump plug.

Reaction score
Country
agree totally with dean unless they look like the ones in your diff or gearbox they will be crap no matter how expensive they are