What's new

rear silencer

B

bettsc

Hi guys,

Just been quoted ?350 + VAT for rear silencer from Nissan dealer :eek: Bit of a bugger 'cause it's outwardly OK but has a loose baffle & is rattling badly.
Question is, any suggestions as to source of replacement that won't be louder ?
I know you'll probably suggest junking the whole system (standard Nissan - original by the look of it), but my priority is keeping the noise down rather than more horses. ( I know - boring, but at my age you get that way !)
Many thanks,

Chris

Reaction score
not sure where youll get a cheaper one but if you were forced to go for a full system there are loads of options out there to make the car quiet. Theres the apexi evc or active tail silencer. The evc you control from your seat and is basically a flap that installs on on of the exhaust flanges and restricts flow when closed so this is less noise. The active tail silencer works with back pressure as the revs increase the silencer opens so at low rpms and cruising speeds the car is quiet

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The cheapest and quietest option I can think of, other than getting a custom system, is the HKS Silent High Power. I run this and, although louder than standard, it is totally acceptable compared to most people's loud as feck systems. Mine's been measured at 84-86dB @ 4500rpm, which is very reasonable considering that the Apex Performance single box and Blitz Nur Spec are over 104dB.

?340 delivered from Nengun (plus Paypal commission). This is a full Cat back stainless system, so won't rust, and shouldn't ever need replacing.

Alternatively, you can take you chance with an S14 system. Some people reckon they go straight on, but I couldn't guarantee...

If you are interested in the HKS, it'll probably take around three weeks from Nengun. PM me for some helpful customs advice ;)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The Greddy Power Extreme II is also a good choice.
A bit cheaper compared to the HKS but it's suposed to be about the same noise level.
However I got over 100db at redline with a turboback system and the PEII in the back.
But it's really quiet on idle, low revs and part throttle.

S

S15R

Yakozan said:
The Greddy Power Extreme II is also a good choice.
A bit cheaper compared to the HKS but it's suposed to be about the same noise level.
However I got over 100db at redline with a turboback system and the PEII in the back.
But it's really quiet on idle, low revs and part throttle.

I've PE II on my car now, its nice and quiet on idle as yako mentioned, also its at a reasonable price aswell :D

Reaction score
Country
I dumped my oem rear silencer when i got my very louder bitz nur spec. if not you could of had it. (but it cost you to ship) im sure some one keeped the original one that they dont want...!!!!

Reaction score
i've got the HKS silent too!!!! love it! not to loud, but nice to know it's not stock! :)

the decat made a difference to sound, but not enough to make it annoying! i can still drive on motorways without thinkin "bloody boomy exhaust"!!!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Are you as old as the hills?? No, well Nicely is.

So if he can cope with a fancy bore exhaust, i'm sure you can.

:D :wave:

B

bettsc

Now I didn't say old as the hills did I ?

Must confess though, I hope no-one suggests a thread to find the oldest contributor to the forum - I might win :eek:

Chris

S

SX2002

Rear Silencer

I don't know if you guys get Magnaflow stuff over there, but I replaced my stock muffler with a Magnaflow straight through one. Just slightly more noise than stock....just a very nice note. It also got rid of ten killos of ugly fat!
Very similar in appearance to the original as well.
The benefit? 8 kW! (Dyno proven at D&T Performance Exhausts)

d.

Reaction score
sorry to bring up an old thread - but how would you (SX2002) describe the exhaust note from the magnaflow?
...as it looks great and is easily available.
would it be comparable to a hks silent hi-power?

S

SX2002

Not sure about the HKS? There were three reasons I went for the Magnaflow, I had one on my previous Nissan and loved it it looks similar to the stock S15 muffler and I think it sounds great. My mate actually had one on his S15 first so I was able to hear it.
It has a nice low note, not too loud and obtrusive, too my ears, just right. People notice the note (and many at the Club have said how great it sounds) but it's not so loud as to attract the boys in blue! The other benefit, as I said in my previous post, was the 8kW ATW gain!

G

gunner93

The stock double barrel is too civilised. I got bored after a while. Definately need some rumble and burble on manual spec-Rs :D

S

SX2002

And that is what I achieved with the Magnaflow...if you have a sports car, it has to sound like one!
Some sound too loud and start to sound like a clapped out heap instead of a prestigeuos sports car!