What's new

Harnesses. What's the score?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
After buying James Brides for a upcoming project I've spent most of today looking into harnesses and the do's and don't.

Those of you that run them, what was your opinion on 4/5/6 point ones? Pro's cons?

From what I've read so far the angle for the back straps is the main issue as not to compress in the event of impact, the same reason not to fit harnesses on reclining seats incase of failure of the seat itself. Also harness bars unless they are welded cages are to be avoided?

I found a picture of the MSA angles from another forum I'll post below but really I'm just fishing for info and opinions. :)

Cheers!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366190547.097227.jpg

Reaction score
I have run 4point takatas for over a year for everyday use and I'm gonna but using them in the S15.

You can get harness bars that go behind the seats

Like so... Or if you want just use the rear seatbelt points and use eye bolts

I do have the 5th and 6th straps for my harnesses but they are over kill for the road

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Are harness bars like that strong enough to attach the straps to? I thought they were to guide them to the correct angle before fixing to the rear belt fixing points? Like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366192118.412641.jpg

Reaction score
The one I posted if you look has extra support from a bottom mount point so id imagine that it's fine,

What you using the car for mate?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
The one I posted if you look has extra support from a bottom mount point so id imagine that it's fine,

What you using the car for mate?
The other was has to the bottom point to doesn't it? :S

That's what I'm asking myself really. It's a ep3 I'm planning to get with plans to do some track days/airfield days in. But it will be used on the road. It's not a daily though as I have a moped for that!

I've looked at the cg-locks that people seem to like they look a very good comprise and remove the pitfalls of harnesses, but that said I do like the "track" look! But if I was going to put them in I'd want to do it correctly. Not willing to bodge when safety's involved.