What's new

boost problems.

Reaction score
Country
boost in car seems to have gone funny.
in first gear boost take along time to spool up and have to floor it very hard to get high boost, as with before it did not take much effort to fet full boost in first and secound. the rest of the gear are easier but still take a while for it to reach max boost. also notice a loud induction sound (not sure is it sucking or blowing).

you guys now what the problem might be checked all gaskets they seem fine was thinking might be the actuator or intercooler pipe connections???
very strange. or would it be a nackered turbo :cry:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Still on the standard boost solenoid? Could be that or a weak actuator.

Alternatively, it sounds like a boost leak somewhere. If its affecting boost this much, I would expect you to be able to hear a leaking gasket, though the difference in induction noise could well be this. You'll find out soon enough if the tractor mod starts kicking in...

Reaction score
Country
ive a apexi solenoid installed running off the PFC, had to turn up the gain to make it reach 1bar.
could it be a week actuator.. might look into the hks actuator...

im suspecting a leak in the intercooler fittings but cant see anything.

at first i was suspecting the turbo elbo gasket as ive just replaced the elbow lately. but can see anything no blow out marks and all bolts tight, except or one nut which i could not fit. no turning space. Would one out 5 cause leaks in the elbow/cause loss of boost????

oh come to think of it there was two thread studs that was on the turbo housing that were too long and i could not remove to replace it, with the included shorter studs. how do you remove the orginal stud as i was afraid to strip it and just cut them instead....?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Those sort of studs will generally wind out, but you've got to use grips on them and they are right b@stards. As I said, if its the gasket, you'll know soon enough.

Check all your IC clips :nod:

Reaction score
Country
will check the ic clips. if the weather allows me to, dam wet here everyday. hope its just the ic then it be a easy job.

Reaction score
sounds like a boost leak with the increased induction noise. check the fmic piping as said but also the welds on the core depending on age of the fmic or if youve hit anything although if the core is new the welds should be fine just something to keep in mind. also check the rubber hoses for leaks on the actuator itself

D

Derek

To get the studs off the Turbo Elbow. Just put two nuts onto thread. One will lock against each other. When i got my turbo elbow i was also wondering at first how the hell is this gonna work. But i managed to tighten all studs. Swop them around if you have too. As the lads said Check hoses.. Last week i had a boost leak. Instead of blowing off through ssqv it was going back through the Air filter and makes more of a fluttering sound. Also My hotpipe from Turbo to Intercooler kept blowing off last week. I had a Mikalor clamp on it and wasn't holding it. Now have a normal jubilee clip on it and holding fine..

Reaction score
Country
yeah im getting fluttering noises too. will check the ic connections when i get a chance, hate working in the cold weather.

oh yeah ive tried the two nut trick, it's that the studs are so dam tight i did'nt wanna chance stripping the studs, might give it a try again later on.

Reaction score
Country
ive checked the ic clips and nothing obvious, im now convinced its the turbo elbow...
but would that cause the turbo to not boost properly???

Reaction score
Country
hum seems to be getting worst now
at idle the boost gauge reads -3 was at -5.
what should it read at idle??

oh alot of back fire now too. you think it still be the gasket??

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
raytsang said:
hum seems to be getting worst now
at idle the boost gauge reads -3 was at -5.
what should it read at idle??

oh alot of back fire now too. you think it still be the gasket??
Could be. It's probobly the leak getting bigger.
The car will run shittier and shittier untill it's fixed.

most likely it's the turbo gasket. Could be a crack in the IC pipes or the actual IC.

Reaction score
Country
Dam i still cant find anyleaks,
im gonna order a HKS heavy duty actuator..
im pretty sure its fecked.
also my stock boost gauge is reading 0 now with or with out boost?? :confused: . but im boost controler still reading same movements.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
have you checked the hose going to the boost gauge sender?
If you're gauge is reading zero it might be that hose.
It should give the car a pretty big power-drop too.

The sender is located on the driver side strut tower. And it's got a hose from it which is T'd into another hose which goes from the recirc valve.

Reaction score
Country
yeah ive checked the hose it looks ok. funny thing is my Power fc boost kit is connected to the same hose and it's reading boost fine. but it not making the boost it should. :confused:

the orignal boost gauge just kind of gradually died, ive a defi boost gauge on the way :thumbs:
can fine any problem with IC, it's only a 4 month old so im sure there not leaks but the hotpipe rubber do look weak. might change them to see if it helps.
as for turbo gasket cant see any sign of leak or sound getting worst.

if its the turbo whats the best way to check??

D

Derek

Unfortunley the only way i know is to take turbo and look for play. but saying that there should nearly be white smoke if turbo was gone.