What's new

Issue with running after rebuild and PFC install

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have rebuilt my engine, nothing mega just a refresh with new bearings the only other additional that could effect running is a pair of 256 deg cams. now I have some issues with running, its very rough / spluttery and can develop a miss fire this is whilst idling and no load rev up. I've also fitted a Apexi PFC D-jetro in combination with the rebuild and want to get some experiences to help track down my issue. so far I have:

retimed CAS as per manual (15 deg when hot)
fuel rail pressure set at ca 38-40psi at idle
checked for air leaks, found none etcs
wapped out the plugs for a new set

now at the minute i'm possibly thinking it could be down to the battery voltage, the PFC and metering the battery say its at approx. 11.5-11.8 v. to my understanding it should be around 14.4v so I am thinking its a dead-ish battery (oldish battery) or the alternator isn't charging the battery.

what does the hand commander normally show for voltage?the PFC is running a base map so I don't expect it to be excellent at idle but it seems very rough cold or warm.anyone got any others things to check? or issues people have seen before?

cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
basic question but have you specified to the PFC the changes you have made? if you reset back to a base map did you specify all your custom things like injectors etc. and no 11-12v is too low normally 13.5 - 14.5

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
the engine is esstentially standard, running stock injectors / stock sized turbo.. the only difference is a pair of Tomei 256 degree cams.

thats what i thought... think ill throw a new battery on it and make sure the alternator / charging circuit is working then see what happens.

basic question but have you specified to the PFC the changes you have made? if you reset back to a base map did you specify all your custom things like injectors etc. and no 11-12v is too low normally 13.5 - 14.5

Reaction score
Country
the 256 has a 11.5 lift, on the base map it could be a little confusing for the PFC when it thinks you have stock cams, and i really would NOT go boosting hard or doing any hard driving at all really on that base map

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
the 256 has a 11.5 lift, on the base map it could be a little confusing for the PFC when it thinks you have stock cams, and i really would NOT go boosting hard or doing any hard driving at all really on that base map

this is true, with the additional lift and duration of the cam there is a possibity of running a little learn which could affect the running.. however i am not sure it is this at the minute (i could be wrong)...

I am litterally on using the base map to start the car so i check for leaks, and cycle some coolent through the engine...... i will not be driving any where on the base map !!! i know the base map is litterally there just to get the engine started and thats pretty much it...

once i am happy that i have no leaks and every is mechically sound etc it will be getting trailerd to the mapper...

Reaction score
Spoonman is right the base map or default setting is not much better then a stock ECU, with those cams, lift and duration the ECU wont adjust the idle or AFR's to cope. Power FC's are not self learning, you will have a rough idle till its tuned and even then the idle will not be like stock...