What's new

What can cause rubbish mpg's and burning a lot of oil?

Reaction score
Country
I know drift days will always kill my mpg's but day to day driving mine is still poo.
i can get about 170 out of a full tank if I'm lucky.

Oil wise I have to top every week.... I do around 150miles a week....

Costs me a fortune lol

Reaction score
Worn motor specifically oil rings. Do a comp test to ascertain if its loosing compression due to wear.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
170 is defo not great! and how much oil are you topping up? As Auss says compression test it as only reason why it would use oil that fast is your either burning it (rings) or there is a leak somewhere, oil cooler?

How many miles has your engine done?

Reaction score
Country
I never have to top mine up! I check the oil everytime I drive the car and in the last six months I have not had to top up once. I would definitely do a compression test! And as said above, check your oil cooler and front right of the block as SR's tend to leak there too :(

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
220miles to less than half a tank? 220km maybe? I get about 450-500 km from top to bottom. That's normal daily driving to and from work with a fair bit of thrashing on the weekends. If I tickled it around I'd get 550km maybe! So that's 280-310miles average to a full tank or 340/50miles if I tickled it.

Reaction score
From Holyhead to gloucester mate 75/80mph on less than half a tank,
Middle of the night no gear changes no a/c just cruising

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
That's pretty good!! I run tesco 99 most of the time but did fill up with v-power the other day!! Can't feel a difference with them though!

Reaction score
Country
I run V power on mine exclusively and get around 30mpg sensible commuter driving. You oxygen sensor might be knackered and that will definitely effect your mpg. Don't know what's going on with the oil though?

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
I put in 50quid of Tesco99 (£1.40) gave me just over 3/4 a tank now down to just above 1/4 tank and done 130miles sound about right?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
130 is abit low josh! But depends on driving style etc. if that's normal driving around town and A roads then its abit low. For normal driving you should hit 250! Track driving alot less!

Reaction score
Country
Burning oil is never good matey - mines not needed topping up since I got it, done about 1500 miles in that time... It does need changing though :)

I'd suspect rings also although i'm no mechanic...

Reaction score
Country
Every engine will use a little oil especially dohc engines,ive put half a litre in mine in about 2000 miles.

but i use mine quite hard so it will use a bit.mine dont smoke on start up or over run as far as im aware so theres nothing wrong!

mine does chuff out some black smoke on boost which is just fuel,its running rich i can smell it when i stop its stinks of fuel.

Cars going to get a new turbo and a map hopefully make 350+ bhp

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I get approx. 310miles to a tank on Tesco's99 and/or Shell V-Power. That combined driving; on the motorway just cruising I've got nearer the 400 mark.

With regards to the OP's original questions, Your O2 Lambda sensor can cause your fuel consumption to go up, if you do a lot of low speed in traffic and at idle.. But that wouldnt account for the topping up the Oil..

Reaction score
Country
If the engine is worn :cry: Time for a tear down and upgrade:thumbs:Hope its not to expensive though??

Reaction score
Country
Mine dont do anywhere near 400!

maybe my map could do with a tweak.

Reaction score
Country
All these figures will depend on what type of driving everyone is doing though surely? I travel down to Cornwall from the Midlands once a month which is a 300 miles trip. I use 3/4 of a tank which is about £65 worth of 99ron fuel. Speed wise i don't go any lower than 80 if i can help it and sometimes see 90+. Every now and again i'll have a little 'play' as well to keep me sane. Awesome on the juice, the S15, considering.

Reaction score
Country
I've got about 200-220 miles to £60 with a few "play" here and there averaging between 70 and 80.

My car is running rich for sure!