What's new

Help please guys, is this genuine HKS?

Reaction score
Country
Ok lads update time.

Received a phone call from the company this morning. The guy ensured me that the downpipe is genuine, and that should they sell counterfeit products they're license to resell hks stuff would be revoked. He also offered me the number for hks Europe to ensure the product is in fact genuine hks.

After a quick Internet search it does seem that there are/were two versions a mild steel and stainless variant, mine being the former.

Regardless of the authenticity of this product, I stressed to the guy that I wasn't happy with the poor quality and he instantly offered me a full refund. Assuming this is a genuine product I cannot believe that it's something HKS would allow through any sort of quality control.

While I'm frustrated the product wasn't what I had hoped for, I cannot say fairer than that towards the Motorsport company.

With this issue resolved I'm now on the lookout for a downpipe that isn't made out of tin foil and solder.

Cheers for help advice lads on this.

J

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Glad you got it sorted mate, and yes from them pictures clearly ARC welds done on that downpipe. Don't see why they make exhausts out of mild steel! rusts, doesn't last and as solid as a sponge cake.

At least i know now HKS sell crap stuff as well as awesome stuff!!

Reaction score
Country
Yer the hi power is just mild steel. The silent hi power is stainless, both have stainless back boxes. Very surprising of hks though as from all the hks parts I have seen I can only praise the quality! Noticed that a hks down pipe is up on eBay, is that the one you've decided to send back?

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
i think the welds on jordans down pipe are mig not arc. arc tends to be used for thicker materials. although irrelevant i thought id point it out.

the proper hks downpipes with will be laser tig'd. look at the welds there beautiful. lol.

the quality of the one you've bought jordan is piss poor, hks or not its crap. i have a japspeed down pipe on mine and its better quality the that.

get your money back and buy a japspeed one.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
It winds me up when I see stuff like this, there is stuff out there that does the job just as good as any of the big brands but people rightly so dont want to take a chance, most of the big jdm names have all thier stuff made in Taiwan or china or wherever simply because it's so much cheaper but then charge premium prices so you expect proper quality for your money. These places are where all the other so called 'crap' is made. I just bought a toyosports (Chinese) downpipe for my sti which is about a foot or so longer than the s15 dp and it was 94.00 delivered and here the next day. Its probably not be the highest grade stainless but it's very well made with machine (or awesome hand) tig welds, solid stainless thick flanges and looks great plus the bellmouth has been mig welded internally too for strength and ground down for smooth flow. It's a wonder why jdm firms are going to the wall because the prices are exorbitant... Some things you can trust a cheaper brand with and they'll do exactly the same job, that's what I've learned from it. It's a shame you had to mess around like this Jordan it's disappointing and just reinforces my views on the subject

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
i have the HKS hi power cat back but its a waste of money really, any future exhaust on any car will just be a custom made mild steel job as its cheaper and works just as well as any branded system, my front section is custom made mild and its perfect, and with a custom one you can make it hug the underside of the car so as not too scrape which the branded ones all seam too