What's new

Clutch woes.... Again

Reaction score
Country
Right, I've got a brand new exedy stage 2 clutch.
It's started juddering in between gears. Mainly 2nd and 3rd.

Any ideas?

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Might be better if you could describe how you can make it judder exactly? Hard drop of the clutch when changing gear? Does the car kind of jolt forward and back a bit rather than judder (more likely)? Or could be a vibration from the propshaft? (unlikely)

Some performance clutches need wearing in for the 'juddering' to become less profound, but this would be on take off rather than changing gears and on a paddle clutch or similar.

Is your stage 2 clutch a paddle clutch?

Reaction score
Country
Yeh it's a paddle.
It wheel hops slightly when pulling away. It doesn't lurch you back and forth but you can feel it when taking your foot off the clutch when shifting up or down. Only noticed it the last few days. Clutch has been on since October. It's already been back due to an issue with one of the bearings.
I've got a hyper single in the garage, just need a new plate for it.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Okay, if you're only starting to feel it now then I'd think there could be a problem with the damper springs on the clutch plate.

Did you do anything to the car in between that may have caused it? Anyone else been driving it?

Hows the gearbox and diff, any issues with them? AFAIK Any extra back-pressure on the gearbox could emphasise the juddering, such as seized callipers etc. It's really hard to tell.

Then again; do you think maybe you've just noticed it more recently because your driving style changed slightly?

Reaction score
Country
All I have done is swap the shifter for a URAS one. Alignment is well out coz of new suspension. Diff is fine as far as I know..

Reaction score
Country
Had the same clutch on my 14a with no issues.

Will prob take it to APT next week, got a few other bits that need doing to it.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Alignment isn't the end of the world.. on that basis I'd say a faulty clutch, if the flywheel is new and the clutch was fine before and everything else is looking good then the clutch plate damper is probably faulty.

Luckily you had it fitted there so they can do a warranty claim on your behalf for labour and parts (but rarely they ever get the labour back)..

Reaction score
Country
Either broken Spring or Melted clutch disk material

with your clutch im guessing its not a organic disk? if not have you pulled it out to check that you have not melted some of this disk material onto the fly or pressure plate, that will give you juddering between gears.
Pull it out and if it looks like this then that's your problem, sand paper & a flat screw driver and you are away

Reaction score
Did you bed the clutch in when new? Does it happen mainly when cold. Have you adjusted the pre load now its done a few Miles?

Reaction score
Country
Clutch was bedded in. It happens when it's cold and warm.

Quite annoying really as its already been back to APT for something else clutch related.
Car is running 350bhp not sure on the torque without digging it out. I knew this clutch wouldn't last ages but 2000 miles isn't that long really?!

Reaction score
TBH I'm not a fan of ceramic clutches for street driving, they really need to get a lot of heat in them to work efficiently and will shudder if you are just poking around the streets. A copper mix is a better choice for street and track driving

Reaction score
Country
I'm taking it in on Saturday. I have got the hyper single clutch but I need a plate for it. As soon as I can be arsed to order it from Japan I'll get that back on instead. Just needed this option sorted as it was convenient.

The list keeps on growing!!

Reaction score
Country
thats a hyper single in those pics and a result of a ceramic on the road, i recomend putting in a standard disk from something like a bluebird or the likes as its the same diamterer as the hyper singles disk, if you switch to these