What's new

HKS recirculation

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Just fitted the kit to my first gen HKS SSQV, but i am not getting any noise at all now. Just like a blow of air, mate had one and still go a chatter.

Anything that i have done wrong? set up from my cold intake side, pipe run over to my intake section on the air filter pipe.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
As far as I was aware fitting a recirc back into the intake pipe will reduce chatter massively. As it pushes air back into the turbo instead of the air being pushed out of the turbo/filter with a non recirc fitted. It basically counters it!

Why did you fit a recirc? Did you have the pigeon mod done before? You may have to put pcs up of your install so we can see pipes etc!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Well originally had the HKS SSQV doing that high pitch dump, then went pigeon mod which i want but don't want to kill of my HKS turbo and now this set up.

Basically its a 25mm pipe from the end part of the dump valve to the intake pipe on the air filter. Custom made the adaptor myself, no boost leak boosts fine just no noise or sound.

I am after the pigeon sound but want safety of not destroying the turbo.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
With a recirc you won't get turbo chatter. I have the best of both worlds, turbo chatter when releasing throttle from 0.7-8 bar of boost and when i hit higher boost 0.8-1.2 it gets dumped out of a cold side blitz Blow off valve.

Mines been like this for 2 years and 30,000km's on stock turbo. Touch a lot of wood my turbo hasn't died yet.

Reaction score
Country
I've got the pigeon mod on mine and I have to say I love it. There's a huge debate as to whether it damages the turbo but most arguments are inconclusive. I do miss the noise from my forge recirc on the 14...

Pigeon FTW!!

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Is the dump valve adjustable?

Chatter is normally from a wastegate, could be your friend has put his dump valve incorrectly that its not releasing any pressure but forced out of the wastegate

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
This could be due to the spring strength.

The chatter sound you refer to is the charged air between the turbo compressor and throttle butterfly trying to escape back past the turbo when you come off the throttle and it has no where to go.

So if you hear no chatter and are not losing boost your recirc is doing its job correctly.

If you desire some chatter you would need to adjust the spring tension on the dump valve (assuming its adjustable) so that you force some of the air back towards the turbo and not down the recirc pipe.

I ran an R-Spec dump valve (none adjustable copy of a forge) and this seemed to work perfect for me having a nice balance of engine noises.

Reaction score
Country
If you desire some chatter you would need to adjust the spring tension on the dump valve (assuming its adjustable) so that you force some of the air back towards the turbo and not down the recirc pipe.
This is how I have mine setup. Chatter at real low boost, easy driving I suppose and recirc when giving it the beans.