What's new

Turbo whine?

Reaction score
Country
Sorry about the crappy vid. I just made it real quick trying to catch it, the whining sound is very low. If I drive it up to boost, it'll sound fine up until around 4k rpms, then it does a crazy loud whine sound. I don't like making the car do this, but I might do it tomorrow and record it on my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8JdcSBGoQ

If you can hear it, what would be causing it?

I'm not too worried about it because my new turbo finally arrived today. I should be able to get it installed this weekend. I'm just worried that it's not my turbo that is causing the sound and something else that I need to replace.

note: Please no comments on my video is crap. I know it's crap. I wasn't trying to make an amazing, professional video. My car started to make the sound so I figured I could try and catch it real quick on my phone.

Reaction score
Country
It appears it was just a simple boost leak. I checked all the clamps and couplers on my intercooler and found one clamp about to break and another one possibly going. I've also found a silicone coupler starting to crack a little. I tightened down all the clamps and took it out for a drive. Got it up to boost, and didn't hear any whine. I didn't go full boost as I live on an RAF base, but got it high enough to where it would whine before. Sounds and feels go. I think the only issue with my current turbo now is the fact that it will need a rebuild. It's got some slight play in the shaft and the blades on the compressor are chipped up.