What's new

Car making weird noise after drift day

P

paulphot

Okay, since my drift day on Sunday the car has been making a weird sucking noise when on boost. It comes from the left hand (passenger) side of the engine bay but only when the car is making boost. It sounds like a really strong sucking cold air intake but I haven't changed anything. I thought it might be a leak but everything looks fine and it's not running any different, still makes boost and feels the same to drive. Any ideas on what it might be? Anyone experience the same thing?

Cheers

P

paulphot

That is something that had crossed my mind, let me guess, they are pretty expensive to replace aren't they?

S

S15R

they are about $50 bucks from nissan :D

I was told that bolts on any exhaust joints are likely to come loose when time and tide wait for no man. :D

P

paulphot

But how hard is it to change them over? Probably cost a few hundred in labour?

S

S15R

well, it depends which gasket

manifold gasket, turbo gasket or dump pipe gasket

you will be able to hear it when idle

P

paulphot

Is there anyway to tell which one it is or do I need to take the whole thing apart to see? Sorry for being a pain, just not up to speed with all things turbo.

S

S15R

take the heat shield off and seek for leakage or an excuse to upgrade the manifold and dump pipe :D which you can change all the gaskets

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
90% odds on that's it the turbo gasket. If you're changing one, you want to do the lot. Depending on the mileage, you want to consider doing the main mani gasket too. You also want to replace the solid turbo feed pipes with braided, otherwise they just go and crack on you.

If you do the job yourself and have never done it before, it'll take you all day. Best schedule a weekend for things not to go according to plan. There is a fairly good guide with photos on SXOC.

I know someone who has done the job countless times and has got it down to 3.5 hours. There is no way Nissan could do it in that time. I've done it twice (with the help of a mate who has done the job three time now) and it took us 6 hours.

P

paulphot

Hopefully it's the dump pipe gasket, I have a new dump pipe to fit anyway so I will get my front pipe and change the lot. Thanks for your help :thumbs: