What's new

Toyo T1R's - Prepare to be unimpressed!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
This post is entirely my own opinion and personal review of the Toyo T1R. I'm not a professional tyre reviewer but understand the basics.

I've driven on Toyo T1R's previously on a relatively high power RWD car and was hugely unimpressed with them overall, even though they seemed to have a fair reputation at the time

I believe that tyres are an area of a car where you really shouldn't skimp and save. Afterall, they do enable you to accelerate, brake and turn, all of which being fairly important. It baffles me when people fit cheap tyres because they 'do a lot of miles'. In which case, surely you would want one of the best tyres available if you're using them a lot?!

Anyway, the review..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, tyre retailers have began to rate theie tyres on fuel efficiency, noise, and most importantly, wet grip.

Unsurisingly, the Toyo T1R's are amongst the worst performers, and this includes the entire budget range. The ratings are as follows

Fuel Efficiency/Rolling Resistange - G
Wet Grip - E
Noise - 71dB

Fuel efficiency/Rolling resistance - With a score of G, The Toyo T1R receives the worst possible score. Not a lot else to be said really!
Wet Grip - On a scale of A to G, the Toyo T1R's rating of E is a fair way down there and leaves a lot to be desired. So far, I've not found a tyre with a lower rating, but I'm sure there will be some when full ratings have been revealed for all tyres.
Noise - 71dB - seems to be about average, if a tad high

So, what would I do? I'd do what I've done. Get rid! For example, the Cheaper Falken or Uniroyal equivelant score B's for wet grip. Certainly a vast improvment for less money.

I hope you find this review useful and hope it doesn't upset too many T1R die-hards!

Reaction score
Country
I'm no T1R die hard but these ratings don't really describe the quality overall. I appreciate wet braking is important and I'd prioritise this above fuel and noise but I'd like to know how they perform in the dry too and not just braking but conering. Generally are tyres that do well on the wet crap in the dry?

Would be good to get a comparison table. I'm interested how the T1 Sports performed as thats what I'm currently running.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I actually preferred my t1r to the falken I have now. The reason they have such a low fuel rating ( and I have seen others with this rating ) is because they use a softer compound and have a higher wear rating than most.
I'm no die hard either as there are way better tyres out there but they are a good tyre. Or we're when I used them about 5 years ago.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Interesting responses. Most normal road tyres perform very similarly in the dry, that's why the EU has opted for wet tests rather than dry tests. And they are now compulsory.

If for example, you compared Michelin PS3's to T1R's in any condition, I think you would be very surprised. Admittedly, there is a 35% difference in price.

Fuel efficiency is related to compound amongst other things, but the Yokohama AD08's are far softer than T1R's and have a better economy rating..

All very interesting. Well, I think so anyway!! ;)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I must agree with you Craig. I recently switched from Michelin pilot sports 235/40/18 to toyo t1r's 225's on the front of my car (mainly as they were free and I was doing a track day) and they were terrible in comparison.

I was understeering so much more than I thought I would, even with 3 degrees of camber, and now on the road in the wet they are scaryily ****!!

I will soon be getting rid for some conti's contact sports 3's.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Tbh I have had conti on my m3 i really didnt rate them, pilot sports also and they are better but at a price. On a car like this you aren't going To be putting silly miles on it so it would be a good idea to spend the extra and get better tyres, I intend to as soon as I can.
I had pilot sports on my type r and they were brilliant wet and dry and wear rate was awesome too had about 3.5m left after 15k so well worth the extra, my mate managed over 20k on his set.
I actually found the ps2 alot better than conti, but I think different tyres suit difference cars also its hard to compare tyres on a 200bhp fwd car and a 350bhp rwd
I ran Pirelli p zero Rosso and Nero and I rate the falken 452 better than both of those tyres , so price doesn't always determine how good a tyre is , for the money the falkens are hard to beat but there are way better tyres abut of you can afford them.
when I used the toyo was a good 5-6 years ago maybe a different tyre now but when I had them I loved them,
Still defo not the best compared to ps2,eagle f1 assymetric etc this is the best most honest tyre reviews site I have found yet http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/T1R.htm

Last edited: