What's new

sound when turning right

R

Russ

hey all

im noticing a strange sound when turning right (passenger side only) but only after turning the steering quite abit, kinda like a rubbing sound, turning left is no sounds and steering feels fine. any ideas i can go through?

Reaction score
Country
Hi Russ have you checked it isn't a wheel bearing ive had them make noises only on cornering before on other cars (jack the car up and wiggle the wheel to feel for any movement or shaking) and brake pads can cause the same problem even if there not fully worn down :confused: other than that i can only think it could possibly be a ball joint or bush's but id check bearings and brakes first

CMR

Reaction score
Country
How low are you? Could be the tyre rubbing on either the wheel well and/or arch liner

Reaction score
Does it happen at very low speeds as well? Could get a friend to stand outside the car, or drive the car while you stand outside, and see if you can narrow down where th esound is coming from.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Almost certainly your NSF wheel bearing. Is it more noticable after a bit of a drive too?

R

Russ

ok i discovered it only seems to happen when facing downwards, as yesterday it happened going down the car park slope, and also at work down a small slope, but today i was in a car park and it wasnt making sounds on flat and only a little going downwards, but still only when facing downwards, if thats anymore help

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You won't be smiling if it is the bearing. Rear ones are easy to replace but the fronts are built onto the hub!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The only viable option would be a used S14 hub. I believe new from nissan they are around £500.

It may not even be that anyway so there is hope! :)

Jay

Reaction score
sounds very much like to me that you have the wheel rubbing on the arch. when stationary turn the wheel in the direction you have a problem, then get out and check clearances (including behind the wheel if poss. the fact its worse when going down hill backs up this theory as when pointed down hill the front is under extra load and may sit lower.

R

Russ

had a look under the arch, and noticed the liner was broken in two areas, seems to be just hanging on, these hard to replace or should i either just remove it or bodge fix it?

Jay

Reaction score
remove it and throw it away. i bought my car with no arch liners 3 years ago and have had no problems. glad u found the problem!

Sair

Reaction score
Country
i got the same rubbing tyres skipping sound in turns, but that was after my diff change. got several oil changes but sound is prevailng. guys in thread said 2way diff wil sound. did you change your diff ?

R

Russ

car is standard bar a nismo catback and apex filter. but since *fixing* the wheel liner i have had no more sound. :)