What's new

Bov placement

R

Russ

hi all, im abit miffed as to where the bov would go, iv seen multiple videos with it placed in various locations, so where is best?
thanks

Reaction score
Country
the theory for the cold side is the direction of airflow does not have to change once vented, hot side is something like makes it easier for the turbo to spool again, Not 100% on that. but it comes down to we are not driving around in full blown track cars where every tiny detail to scratch a quarter of a second off a lap time counts, so place it where you like its not really going to make much difference in your life.

Faber-- winding your actuator arm tighter will have more effect on your turbo responce :)

Reaction score
Country
yea im still trying to work out how to do it, haven't tried too hard yet. Spoonman can you check out my release bearing thread i commented on
when cold, very important otherwise you will burn your wittle fingers, undo the locking nut or nuts if there are two of them on the arm, the turn the female sleeve so that the arm gets tighter then lock it up again, you will have to remove the tiny circlip holding the arm to the turbo exhaust housing slide it off (dont loose the circlip) wind it tighter, just a couple of turns at a time, then put it back on and BOOM, more response.

Reaction score
Country
The closer the BOV is fitted to the turbo the better. After the throttle closes the air will stop flowing causing compressor stall (should you have it all blocked off).

If you have the BOV off the cold pipe (near the battery) like I have, you will find that the air from the throttle body to the BOV dumps out, but the air in the intercooler and hot side piping will still cause compressor stall. Therefore, as Auss15 said, better on the hot pipe.

Reaction score
hey,

the bov should be as close to the trottle body as possible! target is to protect the throttle body,when you go under full trottle of the trottle a huge pressure is bild up and so could damage the valve(and so parts of iron can come loose, and damage the engine)! if fit the BOV here the intercooler remains under pressure but this is also a benefit when you get back on the trottle!:nod: faster response :nod: if the turbo stil stalls, is in my opinion poorly adjusted.
if not correct they fooled me at school :mad: and our teacher Sat almost on f1 level engeneering:nod:

Reaction score
hey,

the bov should be as close to the trottle body as possible! target is to protect the throttle body,when you go under full trottle of the trottle a huge pressure is bild up and so could damage the valve(and so parts of iron can come loose, and damage the engine)! if fit the BOV here the intercooler remains under pressure but this is also a benefit when you get back on the trottle!:nod: faster response :nod: if the turbo stil stalls, is in my opinion poorly adjusted.
if not correct they fooled me at school :mad: and our teacher Sat almost on f1 level engeneering:nod:
I was definately under the impression, and from numerous reliable sources, that the blow off valve was there to protect the turbo.

Reaction score
Country
I was definately under the impression, and from numerous reliable sources, that the blow off valve was there to protect the turbo.
I have been under the same impression also. A throttle body is a lot more sturdy than the internal components of a turbo so in my opinion it's the turbo that needs looking after :D

Reaction score
Spoonman, sorry I'm from belgium so I do my best :eek::nod:

i also spent more then 2 years for solve this question!
then they explained it to me and I think it makes sense!
the butterfly valve is not as strong as you might think, and it is also very important because it must blok all air passes through. and under very high pressure it is possible that it can not fully close(and i think this is not good for the engine)
Therefore it is also important to have a good BOV to buy, and no cheap imitation and properly tune the bove to the turbo and engine!
My BOV is 10inch from the throttle and have no turbo flutter at all!

Reaction score
I was also under the impression that it should be as near to the turbo as you can get.

Garrett say "Position valve close to the turbo outlet for best performance (if valve can handle high temp)"

I'm not in a position where i am squeezing every drop of performance out of my engine, so the stock placement will do for me.