What's new

Brake problem

Reaction score
Country
Brake problem (update new help needed)

Got a bit of a weird problem, brakes feel fine when driving and braking normal...even feel good when braking quite hard. But when you slam on in an emergency or deliberately to try and test them the pedal feels very strange.

Its like the pedal is vibrating and even though your pressing down its not really stopping as you would like...and then it will bite after a breif brown pants moment and come to a stop.

I havent tested this at very high speed, only at normal road speed and up to about 40 to be safe.

Im going to have to have a proper look but could it be worn tension rod bushes or something else arm related as they are brand new 340mm brembos and evo calipers with new redstuff pads. It also did this when I had my old brakes and it was icy...it only happens when abs trys to work.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
After researching, it could be abs sensor on the one wheel causing issues, not sure where the abs ring is located or how easy it is to access but if its broken or damaged (might just need a clean) then maybe a new front hub is needed from a donor.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It does sound like the abs kicking in, as you've said one of your sensors is probably misreading the speed and therefore coming in too much.

Ideally you'd want to live data it with a scan tool to read the wheels speeds but I don't know of any tools that read S15's.

Reaction score
Have you got uprated rears as well mate, I have a similar problem with mine at the moment as i have 355 fronts and stock rears. The fronts make the car do a bit of a handstand lol lifting weight off the rears resulting in the rears locking and activating the abs...

Reaction score
Country
Ok so after having quite a hairy moment yesterday in the wet today I decided to remove the abs fuse to see if having no abs helped at all.

It does...the wheels lock up understandably if your realling brake hard but it feels like you have more control and more confidence as you know the abs isnt going to kick in and kill you.

The car also doesnt show any symptoms like it did before, so no vibration in the pedal and not slowing down like it did when the abs kicked in...now the car just brakes and if its too much then the wheels lock up but the moment this happens you can just take your foot off and re-apply.

Now the only probem I see is the speedo doesnt work without the abs so what can i do? I dont want to fanny arround fitting a 5 speed or anything like that...

I know a few people have removed their abs on here so what did you do about the speedo?

Reaction score
Country
very interesting thread this, i have K sport 330mm front brakes and the abs is way to intrusive and wish there was a way to just make it back off a little but never new removing abs fuse would stop the speedo working, sorry i cant be off any help and lol sorry to here bout your brown pants moment fruitbooter haha :D