What's new

Garage D 6 Speed S15 Gearbox Strengthening ( Circlip Fix)

Reaction score
Country
Have a few more details on the boxes. The conversion is quite basic. They increase the size of the grove on the shaft which the circlip normally goes in. By doing this they can use a locking collar held on by a circlip to prevent the circlip poping off. They also heat treat the gears. And of corse the box has a full refurb, new seals etc!

Currently at Garage D having it fitted so will post again once I have driven it a bit. But so far so good :)

Reaction score
Country
I have just pulled my box out, as last night it was being stubborn trying to go into gear, and then when it would go into gear theres a bad vibration and noise as the clutch is being lifted. I know its not the clutch or anything to do with that, checked it all out and its fine. Went to wiggle the input shaft on the box and theres a few mm of movement, so my first thought is a wasted bearing, haven't pulled the box apart yet as its 2am in the morning and im over it.

Never taken a S15 box apart before, never had to its taken a good beating for the last 13 years without a problem.

Does this sound like the symptoms of the famous circlip issue? Dont know a hell of alot about gearboxes as they have always been good for me until now. Asking as the input shaft can be moved in and out a bit as well as up and down. Car dove home OK going through every gear, once in gear it was fine.

Just thought i would throw it out there and and feedback yous guys have would be good before i pull it apart.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Spoonman I had my box out on Thursday last week to do my clutch, and I too wiggled the input shaft. There seemed to be a lot of play side to side and up and down.

This is pretty normal on most boxes, ford fwd gearbox input shafts have lots f play and so do Tvr's t5 Borg Warner boxes. So I think as long as its not hanging out then abit of play should be ok!

In terms of gear selection issues etc are you sure the spigot bearing was ok and the input shaft wasn't dragging on that?

Reaction score
Country
Okay we'll the gear no seems to do the job. Box feels much smoother! Clutch and flywheel also went on well, and what a difference the flywheel makes!! So much more responsive and the bite from the paddle clutch is awesome! Not so good in traffic though :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Also to end the dispute over the driftworks flywheel. It's a conversion flywheel, hence the different bolts, as long as you use the correct bolts and an S14 clutch aftermarket clutch and not the standard S15 one it works absolutely fine :) however this is just the driftworks ones I cannot comment on the various other so called lightweight flywheels tht people have had problems with in the past!

Reaction score
Country
Speaking to Julian he said he wouldn't put anymore than 450bhp to play on the side of caution, but for me thats plenty. i dont want to go over the 400 mark, really want a reliable 350bhp. See what happens, will take it to the track and see how it does :)

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Have final managed to get a price from Garage D and breif details of the modification :)

I was priced £450 for the box + me giving them my working box.
I am also getting them to fit this along with my clutch, flywheel and braided clutch hose for an additional £150!!! Which I think is pritty dam good!
Outta curiosity did all that work include labour too or was it part of the offer? wondering since i remember when i had the exhaust done it was free on labour since i brought the hks through them

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Sadly garages never do anything for free nickichi! When we do exhaust upgrades the price of fitting is budgeted into the profit margin of the exhaust price. Sounds nice that its free though!

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
wouldn't be surprised if true, but at the time it seemed like a good deal compared to importing it myself and fitting it under the car with it barely off the ground.

would be good to see how this box goes, might be next in line if mine whines anymore :wack:

Reaction score
Country
These new boxes have a slight whine lol! But there ment to be like that. Did question it when I heard it pull away lol!

On another note, I have to say I was very impressed with the service provided at Garage D. After they did the work they gave me a break down of the cost, took the car out to check it was up to scratch, adjusted the clutch pedal as he said he was not quite happy with it and also did a full walk around and advised me on anything he would bother doing :) so very impressed. Only thing he picked up was the bushes on the tension rods but I think that is pritty common.

Reaction score
So what is the power output of your car J0r04n? How many track days/ drift days do you do and year and what mileage do you cover?

It will be really interesting to see how you get on with this as this could be a great thing for a lot of s15 owners, i know if mine does let go at some point the last thing i want to do is stick a 5 speed in, even if it is the sensible option, and up till now there werent a lot of options to do with the 6 speed.

Reaction score
Country
My car is around the 290bhp give or take. When I have it mapped with the new turbo it should be 350bhp+. I do a lot of track days and the occasional drift day, and millage I suppose around 5k a year tops. But I will be driving to Barcelona next year so that will be a good time to test :) The gearbox that was in my car was fine, didn't have any problems with it. I just wanted to build a reliable car. So I'm doing all this kind of work before I up the power :) I also needed a new clutch as all the track days had killed the stock one :( so i thought while I have the box off I would upgrade everything :)

Reaction score
Just seen this thread, i'll be really interested to see how the box performs, i spent ages trying to get someone to modify a box for me and ended up biting the bullet and shelling out for the HPI Nismo box in the end:wack:

Reaction score
Country
Do HPI modify the Nismo box? Afaik the nismo box shares the same circlip issue as the oem 6spd, one of our club member had a brand new nismo 6spd box pulled apart and welded the circlip for peace of mind