What's new

Need Help with Head Gasket Order....

Reaction score
Country
After talking with my mechanic, I'm unsure on what head gasket to purchase. Originally I was going to go with a Cosworth metal head gasket. My mechanic said the issue with going to a steel head gasket is the fact it isn't as "forgiving" as an OEM gasket. Meaning, if everything isn't 100% level, then a leak can happen again. With OEM, you have a better chance of not getting a leak even if there are some minor discrepancies. I'm also looking at getting a new exhaust manifold gasket and inlet manifold gasket. I've seen entire OEM kits for a decent price that includes just about all gaskets. I'm leaning towards one of these kits. What do you guys think?

I'm also looking at getting new head bolts, but I'm not sure if I want to purchase something like the APR Head Stud Kit. It's just so much money. Would standard head bolts be alright?

If I go with the OEM gasket kit and a standard set of bolts, I'll be looking at around £100-£150. If I go with a Cosworth Head Gasket and the APR Head Stud Kit, I'll be close to £280 without even the getting the other gaskets and getting the head skimmed.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
It will probably be alright ,but didnt you say this car is supposed to be running 380bhp? If so I would defo consider the uprated parts, if it failed again is a lot of money to spend out twice.....
I know people run upto 400bhp on standard engine but the way is see it if you have it all apart you may as well replace everything with uprated parts that can handle more power than you run. As I said the type of job you only want to do once really..

Reaction score
Country
depends what you do with the car really matey if it gets some stick or has high power go for the stronger option, if not id go for OEM parts. as i dont race or drift mine thats what id go for on mine.

Reaction score
Country
id try and make good out of bad go safe and go for uprated parts i no its a really nasty bite with the £££ but once its done its done

Reaction score
I hope you have factored into the equation to get your head machined. TBH I would upgrade the head gasket and studs to ward off any future issues with power upgrades.

I would also seriously think about doing you valve springs as well.

Reaction score
Country
Of course I'm getting the head skimmed and pressure checked. I'm not sure about doing the valve springs, but if my mechanic suggests it, I'll look into it.

According to the previous owner, the car is in the neighborhood of 380hp. But without any dyno printouts, I'm a little skeptical. Although it does have a larger turbo and some other goodies installed, it may be possible.

I don't think I'll be adding too much more to the car over the next few years. I may upgrade a few things here and there, but as far as power is concerned, I don't think I'll be trying to add any more hp. But then again, if I come across some killer prices on stuff, that idea may go out the window, :D.

Originally I was looking at a £400-£500 job, which now looks to be going up to £600+. I sure hope this is the last hiccup I run across on this car. I'm almost regretting purchasing it, even though it was at a good price.

But I did say almost, lol. I know once I get her fixed up, put on my new GTR brakes, and slap on the wheels and tires, I'll be very happy. But my plans for a body kit and a respray may be pushed out until late next year, early '14.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm just gonna take it in the sack and just spend the money.

Reaction score
Country
Every car tuner whos known for quality builds are all about longevity, and even though it will cost more to get the head gasket and studs, they would only use items like that for NON standard cars, look at cosworths reputation with engines there's a reason why you should seriously consider there gear, they are high boost engines that last a long time.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I'm going with a Cosworth head gasket and getting the ARP Head Stud Kit. I got a guy looking into pricing everything I need right now. Hopefully he'll be able to get a lower price than what I would pay for.

The real ****ty thing is, I can get an APR stud kit from the US for 1/3 the price I would pay here. The problem is with shipping time. It could take a month to get here thanks to the hurricane that hit NY last month. I'm trying to get my car fixed in the next 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
You say that dude but I have got an order in ATM and have been told should be here in 4-9 days so be worth double checking with places like frsport and see what they say

Reaction score
Country
It's all dependant. I have a military APO address, so there have been times I've gotten stuff in 5 days, and other times 30 days. It's all space available. I don't want to take the chance of someone saying 10 days max, when they actually don't have any say on how long it will truly take.

Reaction score
Country
Just got an email back from Apex Performance Parts and they suggested that I go with a 1.6mm head gasket if I plan on going 350+bhp. So if my car truly does have 380hp (I plan to get it dynoed once I get it fixed), then it would be beneficial t go with a Cosworth 1.6mm Head Gasket.​

Reaction score
Country
I went ahead and order what I needed for the car. Everything was ordered from FRSport. I used the priority shipping, 2-5 days, but hoping it gets here by the 26th. Sometimes shipping to an APO address can be a hassle. Here's what I ordered:

Circuit Sports EMG-NS2-007L-IT Exhaust Manifold Gasket - Nissan SR20DET

Circuit Sports CS-TIG1415 Plenum Intake Spacer Gasket S14 S15 SR20DET

Cosworth 20000925 Metal Head gasket Nissan SR20DET 87mm 1.5mm Thick

ARP 102-4701 Engine Head Studs Bolts Kit Nissan SR20DET RWD

Including shipping I spent around £260. I think that was a pretty good deal. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not a cracked head.

Reaction score
Country
mate ive noticed that your ordering a manifold gasket and ive been told before that the original turbo hoses break alot, apparently its a common on the sr20det so if your doing the turbo or manifold its good to change the turbo hoses while your at it, my manifold started blowing on the s15 (which is a common fault on the sr20) and when i took it to the mechanic they said its well worth doing the turbo lines while your at it, pleased to here you sorted out what you want parts wise and i no its really annoying with car problems but i promise your love it when its running sweat ;)

Reaction score
Country
I've got an upgraded turbo. I think they have upgraded the turbo lines, but not 100%. I'll have the mechanic take a look when he starts tearing the head apart.