What's new

Boost Leak?

Reaction score
Country
I don't seem to have any boost at all. Keeping an eye on the boost guage it goes to nearly 0 but doesn't make any boost at all. My question is would a boost leak cause this? I would have thought I'd see some boost but to see none at all would suggest a gaping hole somewhere. I have had a look and can't feel any leaks or hear anything. I'm getting a constant 0 read out from the gizzmo co troller too so I dont't think my boost guage is at fault.
I'm going to connect the actuator directly to the intercooler pipework today but I dont't think the gizzmo solenoid would cause a lack of boost. From what I've read it would give me to much.

Any other ideas guys? I just wanna drive my car :cry:

Reaction score
Does the car feel like it's got no boost or just the reading on your gauge ? Has it only happened since you installed the Gizzmo

Reaction score
Country
To be honest I havent driven it very far since fitting the new manifold, turbo elbow, front pipe, decat and exhaust. I just decided to fit the gizzmo at the same time since I was removing half the other bits anyway.
It doesn't sound like the turbos doing much and I cant hear the induction kit sucking like it usually does and the stock bov isn't making any noise like it used too either.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Check the actuator on the turbo, and that you have plumbed it back in right. The arm on mine came off once, resulting in exactly what you are experiencing. It may be stuffed and need a replacement, i.e. HKS adjustable actuator from Apex. They are cheapest for them in the UK.
Not saying this is your problem and solution, but it was mine.

Reaction score
Country
I have just been dong some more searching and it does seem like it could be the actuator.
But the arm looks to be attached properly the clips still on there. I can move it ever so slightly as it's stiff so maybe not too weak.

I think I might have to unclip it and check I can move it with my hand. I hope it isn't stuck open on something.

Reaction score
Country
Bit more info.
I removed the actuator arm and could move the wastegate flap easily so it's not stuck in there.
I need a slightly larger pipe joiner to remove the gizzmo solenoid as I had already cut the piping to size so no one peice will make the distance. Typically.

It seems like it must be the actuator though so I'm likely to order a replacement in the next day or two. It was working fine a few weeks ago though when I last drove the car.

Reaction score
Country
The actuator on my S14a gave up. £99 for a HKS adj one and jobs a good one! :)
When it gave up were you able to produce any boost or did you have none at all?

You have fitted the boost hoses correctly for the Gizzmo solenoid ?
I'm pretty sure it's right. I checked the manual several time but looks right.

I'm going to get either a new piece of piping or a joiner and try it without the gizzmo in the system at all. I think I'm going to attach my foot pump to the actuator to check if the arm moves.
My guts telling me its a leak somewhere I just can't find it. I do want a front mount but I'd rather know what the problem is before buying more parts.

Reaction score
Country
Right then I did some testing with the actuator and this looks fine didn't blow open with the slightest of pressure. Took a few pumps to full open it. It didn't seem to close up again either so I dont think its leaking.
Plumbed the actuator in directly to the feed and went for a drive. Not sure at what rpm pretty low down though it hit 0.6 bar. :)
So I need to do some more testing with this and see when I get full boost. Which means I could have possibly plumbed up the gizzmo wrong or I needed to man up and go for a drive to see what she'll do.

Annoyingly though I lost the bung thats on the decat pipe I don't remember if I tightend this up or not but its gone so I have an exhaust leak now. :annoyed: Sigh.

Reaction score
Country
The pipe from the actuator goes to the left hand side of the boost sol. Then the feed from the plenum should be pointing strait at you. ill try find a pick for you of mine.

Reaction score
Country
boost pipe from actuator is black with a little blue tape on it. Blu pipe is routed to plenum . :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for this. Was how I had it though. I'll connect it back up at some point not sure when now weekend maybe and see what happens.
When you say plenum do you mean intercooler pipe?

Reaction score
Country
There is 3 pipes underneath the throttle body. Use one of those. You could use one off an intercooler pipe if you wanted . Most use one of these though.