What's new

White smoke and oil smells like gas.....

Reaction score
Country
So since I got my tax disk finally, I took my car out for a little drive. I've noticed the white smoke coming from the exhaust before. When I got back home, I checked the oil. When I pulled out the dipstick, the oil was a cloudy brown. I rubbed some of the oil between my finders and it evaporated. It also smelled like gas. Could it be possible that because its been sitting for so long (about 6 months) and that it hasn't been driven enough to get the fluids flowing properly, that I don't have a major problem? I plan to do an oil change real soon, hopefully this weekend.

Any ideas/tips/easy fixes you guys can give me?

Reaction score
Country
I'm no mechanic dude but the only thing that should be in your oil is oil. Is the whote smoke. Pretty constant? Possibly head gasket? Someone else on here I'm sure will be able to help diagnose it more accurately than I

Reaction score
Country
how long have you had the car, did you import it? if not a long time go punch the importer, as the chances are you have a blown head gasket. Your coolent is mixing with your engine oil, so check your coolent levels too. Dont drive the car anymore then you have too till it gets fixed.

If you have a good set of balls and tools, you can do it yourself its not as hard as it looks you just have to get it right, if not just get someone to do it for you but it will cost. Personally what i would do since you are removing the head, is put a metal 1.2mm tomei item in there in its place instead of the paper type of gasket that the factory put there, skim the head and put in some HT head bolts like ARP or something, so in the process you are fixing a issue and future proofing your car for alot more boost/power.

Reaction score
Country
It was imported prior to me purchasing the car. The coolant level looks fine, just a tad low, but not by much. I did check the oil cap and there is thick mayo looking stuff :(

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Thick mayo looking stuff is a dead cert for head gasket failure im afraid to say.
as above though really good advice, something you only want to do once so you may as well upgrade and future proof it.
sorry to hear this, hope you get it sorted without it costing too much

Reaction score
Country
I'm trying to hold onto hope that it might just be condensation since the car sat for so long and hasn't been driven enough to fully warm up the engine, but not ignoring the fact that it's possibly the head gasket. Just trying to be optimistic it's a more simple fix.

Reaction score
I would change the oil to start with, clean the oil filler cap and check your coolant is at correct levels. I would drive it around for a bit and then check your oil, filler cap for creamy oil and radiator cap for oil particles or coolant level has droped. You could also do a comp test or pressure test on your radiator to ascertain if your head gasket is gone

Reaction score
Country
Auss15; that's my plan. Hopefully I'll have the time today or tomorrow to do that.

Joeh; Thanks for the offer. I'm out in RAF Lakenheath. About an hour and a half from London. A little bit of a drive for you.

Reaction score
Another way to tell is looking at your coolant water in the top of the radiator as its running and up to temp,if you notice a lot of air bubbles in the flow that will indicate head gasket

Last edited:
Reaction score
Leave the cap off and let it get up to temp while ideling; ie, thermostat opens up and the water starts to flow. You can leave the cap on but only if you are ideling it to get up to temp, not after driving it otherwise pressure will build up under the cap

Reaction score
Country
Checked the coolant while car was running, looked good. No bubbling. I'll check it again later when I get more time. I don't know if I let it get up to temp or not. It was flowing smoothly though.

Reaction score
Country
Good news (so far at the least)

I changed my oil and added some engine cleaner/sludge prevention. I wanted to get 10W40 or 15W40, but they only had 5W40. They actually had some 10W40, but it was a bit expensive. I will try it out next time I change my oil. Anyways, I changed the oil and oil filter (all they had were Fram filters at the shoppette) and cleaned out all the mayo crap that I could reach. I ran it up and let it warm up for a while, checked the coolant, no bubbling. I took my car out on the highway and drove it for about 30 min at 60mph+. The speedo on my iPhone says my top speed was 88.8mph. When I got home I didn't notice any white smoke. I checked the dipstick and it looked like oil, not that cloudy beige from earlier. Looked inside the oil cap and there was a little white stuff, but very little. I'm going to keep checking it every day. The coolant level was also good. So I'm hoping it was just condensation from sitting for so long. Will continue to monitor it daily to see if it acts up again.

I did have a blue print oil filter in the car. I read online that some people have had issues with that filter. Some even had them blow off while driving and seized up their motors. After reading that, I did not want to chance it. Have any of you had any experience with blue print oil filters?

Reaction score
Country
if you want oil filters, just jump on ebay and buy the K&N oil filter, they are only like 10GBP

Reaction score
Country
eBay wasn't an option last night when I was changing my oil. I'll either order one through them or perhaps just go up to a Nissan dealership and pick up OEM filter.

Reaction score
Country
similar problem as me man. Check the coolant hasn't changed colour mine hadn't. I also get the smell and I get white smoke on deceleration its burning oil its either turbo gaskets or valve stems not major better than a stuffed head gasket. Not sure if this is the problem you have but you can try work it out maybe see if it's only on deceleration.