What's new

White smoke and oil smells like gas.....

Reaction score
Country
Got the car back from the shop and it is bad head gasket or head. In the back of my mind I knew it was the case, but I just wanted to extinguish all other avenues.

So without actual numbers, I think I'm looking at around £500 if I let the mechanic on base here do it. That'll include a new gasket (obviously upgraded from the stock one, looking at steel), skimming and pressure testing the head (hopefully it's still good), upgraded head bolts, and labor. I'll have a better idea on a price once the mechanic calls me back this evening.

Anyone know of any other shops that can do a head gasket for less than that near Brandon, Suffolk? Including all parts and skimming/pressure testing the head.

Reaction score
Country
*Update*

Last week I got my head back from the shop. It checked out just fine and they did have to skim it. When the mechanic pulled it out, he didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. The gasket that was installed was an upgraded metal one, but we're unsure of the make. He did say that the head bolts were very easy to take off. They ended up not using upgraded studs when they installed the gasket. Makes me wonder if they just used the old head bolts instead of ordering new ones. We'll never know.

I placed an order through FRSport.com in the US. I wanted to order from a UK site, but the price difference was just too big not to pass up. I ended up ordering a Cosworth metal head gasket 1.5mm, ARP Head Studs, Circuit Sports exhaust manifold gasket (7 layers), and a Circuit Sports plenum intake spacer gasket (supposedly helps in reducing heat). I also got a free T-shirt because the guy I called told me a part was in stock, but when I placed my order it was back ordered. I got an upgrade for a fraction of the price. All that plus shipping for a whopping £257. I think I priced just the head gasket and studs here for over £300 without shipping.

The parts came in today finally, took about 2 weeks which is the normal turn around time for shipping to an APO address. Unfortunately my mechanic was booked all day today and it looks like he's busy on Monday as well. Hopefully he'll be able to get everything together on Tuesday and I'll be driving my car back home Tuesday evening. Hopefully this is the only issue I have to run into for a long while.

Reaction score
Country
when you do the timing on SR20's do you need a special tool to time them up. sure my mate told me you do something called consult data?, would like to know for future reference if i need to do my own

Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure about that. I plan to get my car remapped shortly after getting it back. I just need to find some place locally that does it.

Reaction score
Country
Finally getting my car back today. The mechanic says everything is running perfect. He did the coolant test (forgot what it's called) and it passed with flying colors.
Now I just need to save up to get it mapped. My mechanic says because of the octane level in the gas here on base (which I think is 91), I will need to get it mapped to run properly on that octane. It's a shame that the octane level here on base isn't the same as what they use over in Japan. We're also assuming that the car was mapped to using the octane level in Japan (which is something like 96). For now, I'll be using an octane booster with each fill up.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
If you live in the uk then the minimum octane is 95 with tesco and shell selling 99octane. I wouldn't use anything but super unleaded in any turbo car!

Your mechanic tells you a lot of **** or you don't listen to well maybe!

Reaction score
Country
I don't get that last comment. All I've done is just say what my mechanic has told me. Apparently I listen pretty well since I'm able to repeat it here. Just like to get input from other members here. I'll have to double check the octane level here on base, I'm not 100% sure what it is. Being able to get fuel on base saves me a ton of money compared to buying off base.

Reaction score
Do you live in the uk as it say on the data on the right?
Sounds like your saying your on an airforce or army base? EDIT: just read back you are at an RAF base.

The s15's were mapped for 100 octane in japan i believe, at least my car used to have some Japanese warning sticker in the filler flap saying 100 octane. I wouldn't like to run it on 91 without getting it mapped to suit as you say.

And as Sam says, pumps on the street in the uk are supposed to be 95 minimum with several other companies offering more. If you are looking at tuning the engine or pushing the boost up i really would bite the bulet and pay for the higher quality fuel. When i increase the boost and get mine remapped it will be for at least 98 or 99 ron and will never have less in it, well it doesnt now even on standard map, not worth detting and blowing an engine over.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Just did a quick google search. It appears that on RAF Lakenheath, the octane is US 90, which is UK 94. Over at RAF Mildenhall it is US 94, which equates to UK 98. I'll double check at the pumps next time I'm there. If anything, it looks as if I might just make the short trip to Mildenhall.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Oh your American? Explains why you don't know the pump octanes. And my last comment was based on the fact that many of the chaps on sxoc told you it was head gasket over and over well before your mechanic did.

Reaction score
Country
If you would read all my responses to those chaps, I never ruled out the head gasket. I just wanted to extinguish all other avenues before taking it in to the mechanic. Is that the wrong thing to do?