What's new

White smoke and oil smells like gas.....

Reaction score
Country
I'll check it out later today. My coolant levels are spot on and it hasn't changed colors. My oil looks like oil. I've been checking the levels every day when I get home. I may have overfilled it slighty. I put in 4 quarts, but when I check the levels, it shows it a little above full. But I am having to check it on a slight incline, so that's probably taking into account. I'm still getting a little white substance at the top of my oil cap.

The smoke is more like a gas vapor. It evaporates quickly after leaving the exhaust. It does occur on engine idle and during acceleration. I do notice that if I take my oil cap off, the cloud disappears from the exhaust.

Reaction score
The smoke is more like a gas vapor. It evaporates quickly after leaving the exhaust. It does occur on engine idle and during acceleration. I do notice that if I take my oil cap off, the cloud disappears from the exhaust.
Sounds like water vapour which can indicate head gasket. I would take the plugs out do a Comp test and look at the electrodes. If you are getting moisture in a cylinder from a leaking head gasket the plug or plugs will look really clean.

Reaction score
Country
I currently don't have the tools to do a compression test. I will check the spark plugs when I get home from work tonight. Are there any other signs I should be looking for?

I'm not overheating and the coolant level hasn't dropped, although I did notice that the reservoir is filled past the max (but that shouldn't cause any issues). The smoke gets better during the day. It's only really noticable in the morning when I start my car.

Reaction score
Country
Alright guys. When I got home I checked the spark plugs and this is what they look like:

So it would appear that I need to get me some new spark plugs. Any recommendations?

I had a bit of a scare, actually a really big scare. As I was installing all the spark plugs back in, I was tightening down the ignition wiring plug and as it was getting tight, it snapped. I freaked out, but I somehow managed to use a pair of small pliers to twist the broken piece out. It took about 20 min, but I was able to get it out. Now I'm hoping that the auto hobby shop on base has some spare bolts. I'm probably going to be taking the wife's Jeep to work until I'm able to find a bolt to hold down that ignition plug.

*edit*
I also took a look into the exhaust and noticed that there is a small puddle of water inside the pipe. This could be why I'm producing the water vapor out of the exhaust. As I've stated before, the car was sitting for about 6 months. It was also parked on a slope with the front end facing down the slope. I'm assuming that an accumulation of rain water over that time has built up inside the exhaust and perhaps even made it's way further up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Was going to suggest if its only in morning start up could be build up of condensation /rainwater overnight . As for plugs I would replace like for like, your running NGK iridium bkr8eix I would get them again , I use the exact same plugs and the cars runs well on them if you want cheaper ( they are 30 a set roughly) can get copper which are quite a bit cheaper, stick with heat range 8 though if that's what it's running originally NGK bcpr8es

Reaction score
Ditch the Iridiums, I would put the Platinums, which is the recommended plug for the SR20, back in. Use the PFR7B's which I use. They are cool enough for street and track. Coppers are good but they don't last.

Reaction score
Country
Do you have a link for those? I'm gonna check on ebay tonight to see prices, and hopefully get them by the end of the week.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I would personally say if the car is running grade 8's you should stick with 8's.Mine had 8's in when i got it and when I ran 7's it didn't run as well. Swapped them out after a month.
By all means spend the extra and get platinums if you want to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Different heat rating mate. your level of tune/boost determines how cold a plug you will need only reason I say 8 is because that's what you already have in there so would suggest running the same rating again.

Reaction score
Country
From the looks of my current plugs, should I stay at 8, or go with 9's? Don't they seem to be a little more toasted then normal?

What do you guys think about Denso plugs?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
What boost is the car mapped to? They do look pretty toasted but do you know how long since they were changed?? Tbh 9's would be overkill , grade 7 would be fine up to about 320 Hp 8's are good to about 400hp
As for brands I have only ever used NGK so can't really comment mate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Not sure on the mapping. Was told by the previous owner that the car had up to 380hp, but I'm not claiming that it truly does. As far as how long since the last time he changed the plugs, not sure about that. I'll keep with 8's for now. May look into the Denso plugs, they cost a little more. But I'm gonna do a little more research to see if they are worth more or not.

Reaction score
NGK are great plugs so are Denso. NGK are made in Japan, like your car and Double Platinums are good for heat and high boost. The tuners I have used wont tune a SR20det unless it has Platinums in. I wouldn't go above 8, you can have a too colder plug, especially if you are just driving around the streets on lower boost. The car can feel sluggish and the plugs will build up with carbon over time.

Reaction score
Country
I just ordered some NGK Iridium 8s last night. I'll see how the new set feel. If sluggish, I may drop down to 7s. Perhaps I'll try the platinums next time.

Reaction score
Country
Got my spark plugs today. It amazes me how fast shipping is in the UK. I also got my new front bumper. It's just a stock Spec R bumper, but it looks a lot nicer then the busted one I had on previously. I'll get some pics up this weekend. Nothing special, but I do plan on putting up a build thread. Not too sure about how much work I'll be doing to my ride. It's had some work done to it by the previous owners. I will take into consideration what other members may recommend me do.

Anyways, new plugs are in, but haven't had the chance to drive around yet. I also fitted the front bumper. It's a bit of a ghetto fix for now. The previous bumper was held on by zip ties. Since I didn't have hardware, I just used zip ties that were left in the car. Looks good though.