What's new

ahh gearbox bearing

Reaction score
Country
so my gearbox bearing has been playing up for a while now a rattling sound thing when the clutch is out and it goes away when the clutch is in. I thought it was the clutch but asked the mechanic and he said its a gearbox bearing. What do i do about this he said i can use some sort of oil so it doesn't get any worse and said a price to get it fixed which was huge and i got mad because im so poor at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
sounds like release bearing to me cant make a worn out release bearing better it will need replacing. its what pushes on the clutch cant see the pert being expensive its just the fitting as you need the gearbox out.

Reaction score
Country
yea id go with fez properly a release bearing which you should be able to get away with not changing it for a while, mines been a bit noisy for well over a year. ive just checked Horsham developments price for a clutch change and its £200 if that's better than the quote you got, but if you go with them id get the parts your self and if have to change a bearing then your best off going for a new clutch aswel

Reaction score
Country
sorry mate i just realised your in N.Z so hi-dev are useless to you, iam no master mechanic but usually release bearings and pressure plates can be horribly noisy but don't cause any harm and are something you only change when you replace the clutch or replace the clutch if you do them because of what's involved so you mite aswell do the clutch while the box is off plus i think it all comes as a package and for your self it could well cost around 1g unfortunately its hard for me to say as you dont live in G.B. and if you do get a clutch be careful of what you get cause if you use it for everyday use then you want a organic clutch kit that works well on the road,,, that's if your not going for the standard one, heres a link for some clutch kits from RHDjapan http://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan/s15-silvia/clutch-kits or a organic clutch kit from driftworks http://www.driftworks.com/shop/exed...san-silvia-s15-1999-2002-2-litre-sr20det.html. the quote your getting is properly for a new clutch aswel but ether way id shop about if you can and try and get the clutch your self, i am sorry but i don't no if you get the release bearings with the clutch kit, id say you do cause usaly if you want to replace one part they sell it as a hole kit to replace it all.

Reaction score
Country
Its not that hard to do yourself, it just involves a day and some effort. A release bearing will only cost about $60 for a genuine one from nissan.

the cost from mechanic is due to the work involved in getting to the bearing.

Just jack up your car as far as you can get it, you will have to remove the drive shaft and the gearbox. In the process you will have to remove certain sections on the exhaust depending on your exhaust setup, loosen your engine mount nuts to enable the engine to tilt back you may want to put a separate jack under the sump (dont crush it) to hold the engine in the tilted back position, remove the starter motor, and buy yourself a 3t trolley jack if you dont have one already to balance the gearbox on, or just get some mates over two men can easily maneuver a gearbox. You dont have to touch the clutch as the bearing is on the gearbox shaft being pushed around by the release fork.

Its just one of those jobs that you think is hard then once you do it for the first time you realize it was not that bigger deal, Ive changed the clutch on my Hilux and that has two drive shafts to muck around with and the transfer case bolted to the back on the gearbox, and its heavy as all hell, did that by myself. A silvia is a easy one to do.

Print off the pages in the manual that show the details like what bolts and plugs to remove and what order to do them in and you should be fine, oh and unless you can plug the back of your gearbox when you remove the drive shaft, just drain the oil out to begin with.

Reaction score
Country
I might try do it myself instead of paying 1g to get it done haha. just wondering a mate told me you need the right bearing for your clutch? as i have an aftermarket organic clutch

Reaction score
If you are taking the gearbox out and you have no idea of the condition of the clutch I would recommend putting a new Exedy in. It's not worth the big effort to rip the gearbox out to find in 6 months time the clutch goes.

If it is the release bearing then one has to ask what other components are worn in the clutch. I don't believe in replacing just one part of a clutch problem.

Reaction score
Country
If you are taking the gearbox out and you have no idea of the condition of the clutch I would recommend putting a new Exedy in. It's not worth the big effort to rip the gearbox out to find in 6 months time the clutch goes.

If it is the release bearing then one has to ask what other components are worn in the clutch. I don't believe in replacing just one part of a clutch problem.
this is true, but i just noticed you have the car for sale?? if you are selling it and its just a release bearing, dont even worry about it, dont mention it when selling but if you get asked just say its "just the release bearing" and it not going to affect anything as it wont it will just make noise until it eventually destroys itself but that take ages and ages to happen, my old spec s had that issue when i brought it and a year later when i sold it, it still had it, bet it still has not been fixed, check it out this mong has it up to 147ks i sold it at 120k with the issue
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/silvia/auction-453036583.htm

you should be able to sell your car on looks alone to another young (i dont know stuff all about cars) person and its all good. then go buy a real turbo..... :)

Reaction score
That's the way,tell them it's never been thrashed, tracked or drifted and if they ask about the clutch tell them it's unsprung, good as bro

Reaction score
Country
ok guys this release bearing is getting real bad and annoying me its so loud now. I'm not sure on what bearing to get because i don't know the brand of my clutch all it says on receipts is Nissan 225mm Organic H/Duty Clutch. And just wondering how many hours would it take an average person to do and spoonman how much would it cost to get done at a shop?

Reaction score
Country
dude you can pull the box out yourself, its not that hard really, its just the first time you do it you think its going to be hard..... best way is to have a mate handy to help hold the weight, but i have done it myself before with just a 3t trolley jack.
A thrust bearing is fark all, $70 is what nissan charged me for a genuine koyo one, or here is one one TM for half that

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/clutches/auction-548695457.htm

The brand of clutch wont be too much of a issue as long as the bearing contacts the fingers or whatever they are called on the pressure plate and you have got a 99% chance they will, clutches for SR are clutches for SR's if you catch my drift.
I have a exedy hyper single, exedy recommend the stock bearing and other companies say for this clutch you need the Z32 bearing..... so there you go the different companies cant even agree, which means if its for a SR then just stick it in, it will fit.

Hours to do..... allow a afternoon going into the evening if its your first time.
If you need any guidance there are many people on here who can talk you through it

DONT get it done by a shop, as that will cost you heaps, and remember on here you are going to get advise from british people who by nature are pedantic as hell about stuff so dont panic

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Doing a six speed box? On your back? on your drive? Goooooooood luck..... I used a ramp and on my own with 9 years mechanical knowledge with all the kit and first time round it took me 2 1/2 hours! Next time it will be a lot easier. If your on your back its easiest to just rotate the box 180 degrees when pulling it out! I'd give yourself a day!

im not being pedantic, just realistic, that's what us Brits do best! Hence why we ruled the world until human rights came in! (Irrelevant but I like to remind you guys who's boss)

Reaction score
Country
SEE ............ you bloody brits making things harder then they really are... :)

and now due to the human rights laws that YOU enforce, eastern russian countries and india have made you their bitch......... (stirs and waits for anti kiwi remarks)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Hmmm sigh.... I wish I could argue that one.... But I can't! We ****ed ourselves over and are still stuck in the glory days! Sheep shaggers! (That's all I got)