What's new

Burning Engine Oil

E

Endless

Hi all, I have a 99 Spec R and my engine seems to be having the problem of burning (vapourize) engine oil for the past 6 months. Currently, after engine oil change (synthetic), I can only drive for around 1500KM before most of the oil turn dark and come to the low level on the dip stick indicator. I have ask my mechanic to check, he said all of the pipes seems to be ok, he thinks is my head gasket that is leaking, he told me it is only minor leaking and I just need to check my oil and coolant level every week then it should be ok. My car runs fine right after oil change, but after 1500km or so it start to feel sluggish, and when I open my radiator cap it had the popping sound, and coolant run out faster than usual too, and this does bother me...what do you think the problem might be? if is really the head gasket leaking, is it expensive to fix? :confused:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Have you inspected the turbo oil feed? These have a tendency to crack if you sneeze too hard. A slow leak from the turbo end would be masked somewhat be the fact that the heat would burn it off. I've had this happen and had no idea until someone following me mentioned smalling burning oil and I noticed a drop in oil pressure...

K

khoala

mods??

get your car tuned.

my car wasn't tuned properly...had the same problem as you...needed to top up every fortnight (i do around 600km a week)

i have played with my tune since and no longer burning oil away.

i had all my seals replaced before that so it wasn't a leak (front cam cover seal was leaking) so got cams in when they did that...car was never tuned properly for cams so burnt oil so fast....now its fine...doesn't chew threw it anymore

K

kieran

if they suspect head gasket, then you can get a sniffer test done this is a very quick and eay wasy to tell if ou have a head gasket problem without taking anything apart, as nicely said though check oil feeds to turb, also, does your turbo smoke? do you get much smoke form the exhaust on full boost or when you let off? of just on idle?

Reaction score
could also be valvestem oil seals if your getting alot of smoke on acceleration then it 99% thats what it is