What's new

Snapped Stud Removal? :(

Reaction score
Country
Yeah.. the troublemaker strikes again.. *sigh*

I've a photo, but i'm an iPhone spaz and cant use the damn thing.

But basically one of the turbo to elbow studs has snapped. There is about 1 or 2mm sticking out the turbo, the rest is threaded in, but i dont know how deep/far. It looks in good condition, and doesnt look rotten. The other 4 studs will unbolt fine and it should be enough to make a seal for the moment.

So, how do i get that snapped stud out?
Can someone give me a step by step detailed guide for someone whos never done it before, without just saying 'drill it out'.

Cheers guys.. :)

Reaction score
Are you any good with a welder. If you are just weld a nut to the end of the stud which will get it out. Otherwise put some WD40 or RP7 on it and using multi grips try and remove it. Easy out is another option but it will be hard to get in to such a tight area.

Reaction score
Country
No good with a welder unfortunately.
I dont think theres enough of the stud sticking out for me to grip it with anything either. theres only about one thread showing, and grabbing that will probably mash it :(

What's 'Easy Out'?

Reaction score
I'd drill it out properly for you but you'd need to mail me the turbo. If you can do without the car for a few days I can sort it on a lunch break and have it sent back out the same day.

Reaction score
Country
i really would go for wielding or drilling myself from past experiences with this problem if you get a good wielder they should be able to wield another nut to it to then unbolt, if you've got a mate can wield id get him over to yours and get him to do it once you got the engine stuff out of the way, if its any good to you mate i got a mate who can wield anything and works right were i live and ive got hoards of parking space were i live if you wanted to park it here strip it out the i can get the fella to wield it, hes the boss of A.W.GRACES wielding and i live in Oxfordshire just out side of Abingdon, but if i was you id go for what Adam said it be cheaper and easier, but the offers there mate

Reaction score
Country
i had the same thing happen when i had my spec r!! only way i could get it fixed was buy gettin someone to take the whole lot out and weld a bit on to the stud to get it out!! anyone whos half decent with a welder should be able do it for you in no time!!

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the offers guys! Really appreciate it!
would welding a head on be strong enough to unbolt something that was siezed enough to snap a healthy stud in the first place? i cant understand how it'd work as surely a weld would be a weak point, and the original bolt wouldve been stronger, no?

but then again i know nothing about welding, so i'm probably completely wrong :D haha

I'm going to stick it out at the moment until i get a gasket failure down there again as i need my car and its a pain in the hoop getting the turbo out.
Its currently fine, no leaks yet, and i've got plenty of spare gaskets and studs at the ready!

But when something does go pete tong down there, i'll give you a bell Adam. thanks mate, really appreciate it! :D