What's new

5 speed conversion trim troubles

Reaction score
Country
ive put a 5 speed gearbox on my spec R, when i put all the trim back in ive found that the gear lever is catching on the plastic surround trim (the smaller silver plastic part which has the 6 speed pattern on it) when im shifting into the lower gears and reverse.

i know others have put the 5 speed box in so i wondered if they had came accross this issue and if so what actions they took to rectify the problem?

regards
gaz.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Mine already had the 5sp box when I bought it, but I did put in the carbon surround and didn't use the inner surround and bought a S14 leather gator of eBay and that fitted perfect. Not sure if you can remove the std inner surround?

Reaction score
You have to remove the small silver bit and get a s14 gear gator
i think if you get a short shifter you can put the bit back in

Reaction score
Country
I know the spec s has a different, larger gaiter. It doesn't have the silver part with the 6 speed pattern on, it goes to the edge where that trim fits on the spec R 6 speed. The 5 speed probably has a longer throw.

Reaction score
Country
i should have an s14 leater gaitor so will have a go at fitting that. cheers guys.

i find short shifters on the 5 speed boxes are terrible and make the shift notchy. plus they rattle.