What's new

Diff noises and gear stick wobble

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Well this is my first car with a 2way diff when i first got it it seemed to be very aggressive in locking. I was advised to get some 2 way diff oil and this cured it. Was smooth and wasn't aggressive anymore but now its come back and locking very harsh.

Say i am driving slowly in first or second gear the car starts kangarooing and you can hear the diff locking, and if i am driving up a hill slowly in gear 1 the whole car will judder. Its fine when going fast just soon as its any form of slow driving or rolling in gear with no acceleration its locking or jumping.

Just wondering if this is normal? and can you get different types of 2 way diffs that are more aggressive than others?

Other thing i have noticed is the whole of my gear stick wobbles when driving along is this normal or have mounts gone?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Changing the gearbox mount to a harder one from apex or Nismo will solve the gearstick wobble! Mine was terrible until I put an apex one in.

The kangarooing will more likely be uprated clutch/flywheel, my Nismo 2 way diff is does not cause a kangarooing effect but! What oil did you actually buy? What make diff do you think you have? As nismo's work best with a friction modifier additive or buy oil with it already in!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Ahhh that makes sense its very stiff my clutch pedal and hence the motion terrible in stop start traffic but spot on when driving. Will it also make a light noise but will go soon as the clutch is engaged? its spot on when driving at normal speeds

Sam i put in FUCHS TITAN race gear LSD 90LS, it may just be the clutch and i am getting it mistaken with the diff i don't no what diff came in the car it was in from Japan.
A lot of the mods on the car are NISMO or HKS. I just keep finding more and more uprated parts.

But will change the gearbox mount thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Well this is my first car with a 2way diff when i first got it it seemed to be very aggressive in locking. I was advised to get some 2 way diff oil and this cured it. Was smooth and wasn't aggressive anymore but now its come back and locking very harsh.

Say i am driving slowly in first or second gear the car starts kangarooing and you can hear the diff locking, and if i am driving up a hill slowly in gear 1 the whole car will judder. Its fine when going fast just soon as its any form of slow driving or rolling in gear with no acceleration its locking or jumping.

Just wondering if this is normal? and can you get different types of 2 way diffs that are more aggressive than others?

Other thing i have noticed is the whole of my gear stick wobbles when driving along is this normal or have mounts gone?
hmm i noticed this also after my tune.. going uphill just slightly accelerating then letting go say to go over speed bump it 'kangaroos'
does your gear stick move say in 3rd while then accelerating and then letting off ?

Reaction score
A 2 way diff is an aggressive diff and I would also assume that air temps are getting cooler over there.....cold diff oil takes longer to warm up so over Winter expect to here a lot more diff noise especially using a mono grade 90w oil. Personally I would be using a 75w 90w in that diff, thats what I use in my 1.5way