What's new

Tomei to OEM and power FC tune. should it be?

Reaction score
Ok iv had my Tomei 256 cams in for about 3 years now with a power FC tune.
Iv just done a swap over to the OEM cams but wondering should i expect it to be in a derivable condition?
I started it up and it wasn't happy at first, was popping and sorta pre igniting
If i give it a bit of throttle it will seam to keep a steady smooth RPM with a bit of splattering. but wont idle.
My knock gose right up when i rev it a tad.

I know it wont run in a perfect order with the OEM cams, but i just relay don't want it to be the cams.
I made sure at top dead center the exhaust cam dowel was at 12 and there was 10 link spacing to the intake cam mating mark. only issue i had was that the retard that installed the Tomei cams ****ed up the timing chain placement because the silver link don't line up to the mating marks when at TDS. but i made sure the cams where still in the right position.
but back to my issue. Is this normal or should i be expecting a derivable condition?

Oh yeh its also a D jetro as well if that helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
It wont idle and will be rough when you go back to stock cams. The Power FC tune you have is for the lift and duration of the Tomei cams, it cannot adjust for the different lift and duration of the stock cams. Why did you go back to stock cams. You have 2 options, retune with the stock cams or fit a stock ECU

Reaction score
So its perfectly normal? Ill see how i go when i install the OEM ecu
Im going back to OEM ECU
Im retiring my girl back to its OEM forum. Fuel cost aswell lol
i drove my mates OEM S15 and i just want that feal back, Im getting a blue slip done and there's no way ill pass emissions. and having no AFM is a dead give away.
also i have 740cc injectors, will this be a big problem for the OEM ecu?

Reaction score
Yes they will, if you are going to put back the OEM ECU you will need to return it back to stock injectors. The only things you can get away with the stock ECU is exhaust, pod filter and front mount intercooler.

Reaction score
Country
dont all power FC ecu's have a base tune for the engines built it? stock cams, stock injectors, leave the AFM out..... kind of thing

Reaction score
They do, it's the default tune, but you cant drive around with it to long as it can't balance the AFR's or detonation levels. If you want to do it you have to select initialise on the menu. This will reset you settings to the default tune and it will also allow you to relearn your idle. From memory you have to let the car idle for 30 minutes after you initialise it. You will however lose all the tune that you have on the Power FC

Reaction score
Country
They do, it's the default tune, but you cant drive around with it to long as it can't balance the AFR's or detonation levels. If you want to do it you have to select initialise on the menu. This will reset you settings to the default tune and it will also allow you to relearn your idle. From memory you have to let the car idle for 30 minutes after you initialise it. You will however lose all the tune that you have on the Power FC
thats a bit dumb that its not able to store a tune, when it can store the base tune

Reaction score
so how do i set it to defualt?
Go to the start up setting on your hand controller where it say, MONITOR, SETTING, ETC, opening up the ETC and you will see ALL DATA INIT. open that up and it will say, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT.

thats a bit dumb that its not able to store a tune, when it can store the base tune
Bit like any device like computer, phone etc once you hit restore factory settings you lose all stored information.

Reaction score
Country
Bit like any device like computer, phone etc once you hit restore factory settings you lose all stored information.
year but for the cost of getting another tune done, over a 5c worth of chip to store the settings, like other ecu's can

Reaction score
year but for the cost of getting another tune done, over a 5c worth of chip to store the settings, like other ecu's can
Remember it's only an automative ECU, its not that smart. It would be great if you could buy a 5c chip every time you made an upgrade

Reaction score
Country
Remember it's only an automative ECU, its not that smart. It would be great if you could buy a 5c chip every time you made an upgrade
i was referring to ECU's for cars, IE link and haltech, i know can store multiple tunes, and you can change tune by a switch on your dash or when you put your foot to the floor it can swap tune to suit a change from road fuel to race gas.

the solution is a USB stick plugged into the side of your ECU :)

Reaction score
You can store multiple maps on the pfc, i have three for different boost levels but the factory reset deletes them! You can store them on a laptop mind you and most mappers do, i deleted mine by accident arseing around with the hand controller but just had to re-load them :)