What's new

Stock boost gauge accuracy????

Reaction score
Country
I have recently been setting up my boost controller and noticed the massive difference to what the boost controller says and what my boost gauge says :annoyed:. The EVC and the boost gauge both run off the same boost line so in scientific terms the test is equal. However there seems to be a difference of around 0.2 of a bar :confused:. I have not yet had my car mapped and dont really want the boost been set to high. So my question is which display should i trust. The stock boost gauge or the EVC-S Boost controller???

Reaction score
Country
, its got nothing to do with the boost line, the chances are that the HKS one is going to be more accurate then the stock one, especially if its new, compared to the 12 year old nissan one and gauge. I just got rid of my stock gauge and sensor and have a apexi one with its own sensor I trust it. Brands like that pride themselves on accurate quality goods.

If you are worried about too much boost but dont want to be a pussy, then get your mechanic brain and ears out. This is where you need to listen to your engine turn down the sound system and go for a power burst and if you hear a noise like a ball bearing being thrown at the metal surface then thats DET back off IMMEDIATELY on the boost, or if you notice your car loosing power your stock ecu is probably picking up knock which could be a light det and retarding the engine. or you can go one step further and take it to a dyno, as they have great stethoscopes to listen to your engine as you bring power on plus they will check the AFR at the same time.

Reaction score
Country
if you hear a noise like a ball bearing being thrown at the metal surface then thats DET back off IMMEDIATELY on the boost, or if you notice your car loosing power your stock ecu is probably picking up knock which could be a light det and retarding the engine.
Det and knock are the same thing are they not... So does the ecu only pick it up when it reaches a certain level? (i.e the ignition timing being off by so much) So you can hear det before it does damage and back off but if you failed to notice once it got to a point that would harm the engine the ecu would try and save your life?

I didnt think the stock ecu played such an important role as a lot of people kill engines due to det so it cant be that good of a life saver..

Reaction score
Country
I don't know exactly what the factory knock sensor listens for, but it does tell good knock knock jokes like, "knock knock" "Whos there?" "Rod" "rod who?" "Rod Knock".... sorry, seriously it will detect the noise that det makes and turn your engine into a retard, but its adjustment is far from capable of stopping a modified SR from detonating, that's where you need something like the Knock Link & G4 ECU. as for saving your life........... det does not kill people, guns kill people det kills engines.

this is what you need to listen for when wanting to know if you are running well too lean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Due7mkTHMlw&feature=related

this one is about what it would sound like in our engines, but they are running stupid boost and dont back off the gas to show what happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeywSckaxPs&feature=related

or just get a wideband AFR gauge kit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
as for saving your life........... det does not kill people, guns kill people det kills engines.
I heard there was this guy once who died because he took a rod to the face due to det... :rolleyes:

A dedicated knock sensor sounds like the way to go tbh...I'd always make sure I'd use a reptuable tuner also and make sure youself that your engine is up to scratch in the first place for the tune you want! Oh and dont use 95 ron :D

Reaction score
Country
best point to start is just to know what your engine is doing, as i said before get a wideband gauge and if it goes lean then back down the boost till it stays in the safe zone, which is normally 1bar and under providing you use 98oct, you can run 1.2bar on the stock fuel map without blowing up your engine, but you are running a high risk of leaning out badly and if it was a hot day you might wish you had of kept it on the low side, but that does not mean you have to be a wimp and panic that you are running more then .6 -.7 on the stock map.

rod to the face aye.... was that like "this one time and band camp, this guy took a rod to the face"

Reaction score
You will find with the stock boostr guage after a at least 13 years that it will have picked up a small amount of blow by oil through the boost line.

The stock knock sensor, from memory goes off at 75 which causes the engine management light to flash 3 times. I have been told by a reputable SR expert that the SR20DET will cope with knock readings of 100.

If you are running the stock ECU it will automatically retard the timing if it starts to detonate due to, for example low octane fuel

Reaction score
Country
You will find with the stock boostr guage after a at least 13 years that it will have picked up a small amount of blow by oil through the boost line.

The stock knock sensor, from memory goes off at 75 which causes the engine management light to flash 3 times. I have been told by a reputable SR expert that the SR20DET will cope with knock readings of 100.

If you are running the stock ECU it will automatically retard the timing if it starts to detonate due to, for example low octane fuel
the light flashes 3 times... good to know cheers mate

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the info guys. Well i have set the boost according to the gauge to 0.9 bar peak with a warning of 1 bar. So that should be fine. Looks like it may be time to buy an aftermarket boost gauge :)