What's new

Exhaust fitting question.

Reaction score
Country
Well I'm looking at changing the exhaust system on my car. I have an idea of what I'd like and need but have I missed anything? Is there anything thats worth changing while I'm at it.

List of planned bits
Exhaust - HKS Silent Hi-Power
Downpipe - Blitz downpipe
Turbo elbow - Tomei turbo elbow
Manifold - H-dev manifold
Uprated Actuator - Hks actuator
Decat -
Braided turbo hoses -

I think the front pipe and exhaust are 80mm so I'd guess I ideally need a 80mm decat pipe. Where can I get one?
Can someone recommend braided hoses too.

I'm open to suggestions of other parts but want to try and keep the noise level below track limits.
Any alternative to the manifold for similar money?

Reaction score
Country
with a silent high power track limits wont be a issue, i have the hi power and its well within limits de cat etc.
if your going to be fitting them yourself give me a shout i have done it all on mine il come have a nose lol.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
be careful with the mani you plan on getting. The quality of one I had was bad, so bad my mechanic friend refused to fit it. May have just been a dodgy batch but I now prefer proper JDM. If you dont mind waiting i'd recommend finding a decent branded used one on sxoc or elsewhere, like I did instead of fitting the H-dev (or IMO any other UK one as I believe they may all be made by the same Chinese ebay suppliers....)

Decat length is 315mm, I waited about and found a sports cat on skylineownersclub.com for £60. About as much as a decat but no fuss with MOT, and quiter.

3 inch also gets called 80mm right? I think all my exhaust gaskets are 80mm and work fine, same bolt pattern (correct If I am wrong please)

Reaction score
Country
I was planning on trying to fit it myself. I haven't fitted many of the parts above before, car usually had it or I paid for it to be fitted because it was my daily. So in short I might take you up on that shane.

Thats the reason I questioned my manifold choice. I have heard mixed things about the quality. I'm trying to avoid spending too much on one because one day probably a few years off yet I'd like to upgrade the turbo and it may not fit. On the other hand I don't want it cracking every 5 minutes and I could probably sell a decent one on fairly easily.

I'll probably get the exhaust and front pipe first and then measure them before sorting the decat.

Reaction score
Country
I'd stay away from h-dev, quality I've had from them has been poor, I have the manifold and downpipe from them, both need replacing, I'm getting this manifold:
http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Nissan-20...S14/Nissan-SR20DET-SPEC-T-Manifold/p-3-1-538/
As I've been told by Littleton it's a good-un, the h-dev one is a waste of money, the exhaust system I'm replacing next weeked, from the turbo, so won't be using any of horshams stuff again

Reaction score
Country
I have heard similar stuff about the japspeed parts though.
It's difficult because things might have changed. Suppliers / standards etc. If the products were so bad I can't see how a company could still be standing. And then the fact that you only tend to hear about the problems not the good stuff.

Reaction score
Country
jump of FRSport and just get the Tomei manifold and dump pipe, personally i would lose the blitz frontpipe (downpipe) and just get a custom 3" mild steel section made up with a flexi in it that goes from the dump pipe to the HKS hipower

Reaction score
Country
I have heard similar stuff about the japspeed parts though.
It's difficult because things might have changed. Suppliers / standards etc. If the products were so bad I can't see how a company could still be standing. And then the fact that you only tend to hear about the problems not the good stuff.
True mate, but the quality of these two individual parts, japspeed mani > h-dev mani, as spoon said, if you really want the best then save up for a HPI or something

Reaction score
Country
Really struggling to find the hks silent hi power.
Could be looking at next year to get one whichis too long a wait.

Anyone got any ideas on where I can try?
I have spoken to a few uk companies and hks direct and seem to be told December but cannot promise this.
What are the alternatives exhaust wise? Ideally track friendly.

Reaction score
Just as a note, if you buy a cheap manifold the mating faces will be bowed. They aren't skimmed flat after welding, hence so many people have gasket issues on the sr20. I've had three over the years and although I've never had gasket problems it's because I always check mating faces on anything I fit to ensure it seals and machine it if it needs doing. All three have needed both head and turbo flanges flattening by the way.

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Japspeed will be good enough for the decat, should be cheep enough and i've got one fitted to my car between the original front pipe and the silent hi power.

Have you tried Garage D, I think it would be costly if they fit it for you but they may be able to supply it

Reaction score
Country
I've tried garage d and had no luck there either. So since I dont want to wait a quarter of a year for qn exhaust I think I'm gonna go for a blitz nur spec.

I'm still not decided on a manifold. I will be checking that it isnt banana shaped though.

Reaction score
Country
i have a h-dev one mate and i have no trouble, its been on there a while too, and lets be honest if it was not perfect talon would skim it flat for at worst 20 quid.

Reaction score
Country
Wheres the best place to pick up some replacment gaskets? I know I will need atleast 2 3" with 2 hole gaskets for the exhaust and would also like the head to manifold, manifold to turbo, turbo to elbow ones.
I'm also thinking of replacing all of the nuts at the same time as I'm sure I read somewhere the nissan ones have tendancies of coming lose?

Reaction score
Country
Attempted to remove the old exhaust today from the Cat back. Unfortunatly I couldnt get some rusted nuts off. I'm a bit worn out now and come for some tips.
I tried just undoing them, a bit of penerating oil to losen them up. Tried a nut splitter but that kept slipping off the lip of the nut. Lastly I tried my dremel with metal cutting blade. Wasn't doing a great deal until it snapped.
What can I do to get these off. I'm not likely to try anything until the weekend now.

Massive fail today :( haven't achieved anything really. At least ittook my mind off my tooth ache.
Help please

Reaction score
Country
That would have been ace but shes packed away. Had to go to the dentist otherwise I'd have still been wrestling with her. Damn wisdom teeth.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Try heating them up with a little blow torch dude.
i couldn't undo 2 of mine either heated them up and got em out in the end

Reaction score
Country
I did let the exhaust get fairly warm. May have to invest in a blow torch then.
Any other suggestions?