What's new

Exhaust fitting question.

Reaction score
Country
Do you mean just to drop it off the hangers or actually away from the car?
I haven't tried either.

Reaction score
Country
Did think about that but they're rusted too. Undamaged like the ones on the cat though so I may have luck.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I was lucky with mine as I had just recently changed my mani and elbow so came off nice and easy! Good luck mate I'm sure you will get it sorted one way or another

Reaction score
Country
Made some good progress today. Thanks for the tips above. Got the exhaust off and thought. That front pipe looks a fair bit smalller than the new one I have in the spare room. As far as I can tell it has the front pipe and decat all in one. So I may have a spare decat.

Also started removing the intercooler piping and intake pipe to get the turbo and manifold out. Called it a day at that point.
Few questions.
Do I need to drain the coolant before removing the turbo?
If so wheres best to do this from? Is there a point at the bottom of the rad?

I purchased a few more bits this week. A gizmo boost controller and a fuel pump. If I use a boost controller do I need to replace the actuator on the turbo?

And lastly. I went out to the car today to find my battery was flat. Couldn't even unlock it with the remot key. I have no idea whats draind the battery so I've bought a new one. I'm slightly concerned as I have no idea how or why this happend.

Reaction score
Country
there's a drain bung to the left of the bottom of the rad that you can undo with a screwdriver, will be best to do that as you can catch it easily and cleanly like that.
if you don't it will drain from the turbo coolant hoses and make a right mess.
no leave the actuator alone, the boost controller will bleed off the vac to raise the boost. don't go too far mind.
old battery's do that probably fine, mine did it and like you i replaced it and had no problems since.

try dropping the front end of the manifold/turbo down then pulling the whole thing up sideways too when it comes out, found that to be easiest.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks Shane_o got that drained this morning.
Just losend 2 nuts but the others are pretty stuck so I've blasted them with penetrating oil.
While I'm waiting I'm looking at how to plumb in the gizmo.

Update 3 to go. Would be the hardest 3 to get to thugh. Cut my fingers so I'm bleeding everywhere and strained my neck. They're on so tight its unreal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Down to 2 and 1 has started to round off. I must be using enough strengh just not getting anywhere with these 2. Could do with a longer spanner I think.
what can I do about the one thats starting to round off. I think the oils made it a lil slippy.

Reaction score
Country
Sadly I cant get a socket on it. Just too tight with the manifold in the way. If I could I rekn i'd be alright.
Where could I get one of these bars too?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I jut improvised and used the bar from the end of my trolley jack lol and on the one closest to the bulk head as there wasn't much room I used the middle of my axle stand ha ha

Reaction score
Country
Love it the jack bar worked a treat. Just the rounded one to go. Spanners just slipping on that one.
Whats the best way to remove that one then?
I could put the dremmel to it but all that flamible liquid it been squirting under the could is likely to take off my eye brows.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the response. Hoping that'll be the last resort.
I have got a few ideas from a google search. May need to learn to weld.

Reaction score
Country
Finally got that last nut off today. Tried a few things and ended up angle grinding and dremmeling it. Was actually surprised when it dropped off.
This is all that was left of the nut.
IMG_0269.jpg
Sadly though the stud had had it and snapped.
How best to get this off. From my research a bad idea would be to use the easy out as they appear to do more harm than good. I (I think) fortunatly have a fair bit of the stud and a lil bit of thread sticking out.
IMG_0271.jpg

I actually feel like I made some good progress today. :) A sense of satisfaction knowing I got it sorted when all was going wrong.

I also want to apologise for what might come across as me whining like a right b***ch the last few days. Just super frustrating when things don't go to plan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
It depends on how tight it is, i had one snap off at the end of the thread end tried a stud extractor and hung off it with a bar didn't shift it, i ended up filing it flat and re cutting
the thread on it and just re used it, but thats never going to happen for you lol.

i'd try a stud extractor or if you can get 2 nuts on it try that method.

Reaction score
Country
I did try to get 2 nuts on but only 1 would fit. If I can get thinner nuts that might work. This would be my prefered option I think.

I've read so many stories of the extractors breaking in the stud and apparently its not easy to weld to it if that happens.

I just really don't wanna balls it up like I did the nut. If I can help it that is.

Reaction score
Country
They look like they might be worth a try. Found some similar ones in halfords that I'll have a look at tomorrow.