What's new

brake fluid

C

cloudandy

i've just found out that UK don't make DOT 3 brake oil which is the standard spec
for s15.

My fluids are running low at the moment and i just want to top it up to use for a few weeks.
Is it possible to mix abit of DOT 4 in there, which was told but halfords but the lid said something else.

thanks

S

Speedy

Im pretty sure they still make Dot 3 as we use it in work. I wouldnt mix the 2 fluids together i would bleed the system with fresh fluid. 5.1 is the better option but need replacing more frequently.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You will find it difficult to get DOT3 nowadays. DOT4 is fully compatible with DOT3 standard (as is DOT5.1) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what in the kines. You can mix DOT4 with DOT3, but its worth changing the fluid anyway.

Might be a good time to fit braided lines and get some DOT5.1 in there :)

oilman

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Dot3 is hard to comeby these days.

For reference all dot3 dot4 and dot5.1 will mix. The only ones that dont are dot5 and Castrol SRF.

Cheers

Guy.

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Oilman gets about :nod: Such a schlaaaag :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Here was me thinging you only gave us guys on GTIROC special priviliges ;) ;) :D

J.

S

S1Five

what actually does braided brake lines do to the brakes?

gives it a better/firmer feel?

atm i find my brakes to be ermm not progressive and i want a more firmer feel to the way the pedal feels when i step on it

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: firmer and more direct pedal feel. Putting some DOT 5.1 fluid in will help too. The biggest difference will be putting some decent pads on...