What's new

What boost to run with my modifications?????

Reaction score
Country
After some advice onto what boost I should be setting my boost controller too? Just brought a HKS EVC-S so looking to set the correct boost for my mods (safely)

Current engine mods;

Autobahn 88 intercooler (New Type)
Koyo N Flow radiator
Apex Twin Fan Set And Shroud
Mocal 19 row oil cooler
HKS SSQV (resirc)
HKS induction Kit
Ceramic Manifold and turbo elbow
DriftWorks Braided Turbo coolant and oil lines
HKS Silent with mid box removed
HKS Downpipe
Custom Decat
Splitfire Coil Packs
NGK Iridium Temp 7 Plugs
HKS EVC-S boost controller

It boosts to 0.7 pritty much instantly then climes to 0.9 and if you are really gunning it, it reaches 1 bar plus. My thoughts were to set boost A to 0.6 (take it easy boost) and boost B to 0.9. Have not yet upped the fuel pump. Yet :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Country
dont think twice just get the pump, always always always mod fueling before air, a walbro 255 is a great little pump for a lighter modded SR cheap enough and then just run 1bar all the time, the evc-s should not jump all over the show like that, you will be safe as providing you run on 98oct, if you have to run a lesser fuel then .9bar max

Reaction score
Country
I have not yet fitted the boost controller. Those readings are just from the stock solenoid setup. Okay so fuel pump and up the pressure to 1 bar. Any advice on the lower setting? Is any pressure to low?

Reaction score
Country
Tbh I'd check your actuator if its over boosting to 1 bar already.

Oh and as above, if it was me id upgrade fuel pump and injectors and z32 maf and then get a decent map done with an increase in boost.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Mine boosts exactly the same and hits 0.6 bar then will hit 0.9~ at high revs if your really going for it.

I havnt got my EVC plugged in as it will just increase the boost and what it is doing, so example boost to 0.7 bar then hit 1.0 bar at high revs if you get me.
Interested to know how you get round this as I've been researching it for ages now, and the only posts I can find at related to s15's not s14's so posting on SXOC no one has any idea why it does it.

Reaction score
Country
Its always going to over boost slightly, even more so when you start doing more mods but I dont think it should be going above 1 bar really.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Well I've never set my actuator to higher to see if it will still go up as I'm on the standard ecu.
It might just hold at 1 bar for example, but I've a horrible feeling if it set it to spool up to 1 bar then at higher revs it will hit 1.3

CMR

Reaction score
Country
I agree it shouldn't, I have a brand new HKS actuator so it isn't that.

It's strange that at least 4 or 5 S15's have the same issue, but no 14's.

I've ruled out everything but an exhaust leak pre turbo, boost creep below 1.0 bar due to being a T28R, VAC leak, or some strange issue relating to S15's only

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread J0R04N, as it seems with have exactly the same symptoms

Reaction score
Country
with the stock item you will boost all over the show, it will open at .7 which is why your boost will jump straight there, and the rest of the fluctuating will be caused by the different ways that people free up there cars, try to keep your intercooler hot pipe to 50mm dia unless you are running a much bigger turbo as it will just add to the lag and make it harder for your EBC to keep a lid on the boost, as for the stock solenoid just unplug it and block off the holes in the intake pipe, try and get a feed for the HKS solenoid as close as you can the the turbo outlet for best response, and really do not worry about two different boost settings, that sort of crap is what you let a high end stand alone ECU worry about.