What's new

Problem with 3rd gear...

Reaction score
Country
I've been trying to find some information on the forum about this but so far no luck. I currently have a problem with my 6 speed box when engaging into third, basically i can engage third and there is no resistance but every time there is a crunchy noise, similar as if you try to engage on high rpm without pushing the clutch down (ggrrrrraaack), also after engaging an accelerating the shifter moves back almost to neutral like trying to pop out the gear but stays in 3rd.

So my question is, is there any rebuild kit for sale (syncros, gears, etc.)? Should i just sent it to a transmission repair place or buy the kits (in case there is) and pay a pro do the job? any help? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Iv'e seen similar problems and it usually means the gearbox is on the way out. Sounds like selector has worn. How much power are you putting through the box?

Reaction score
Country
right now stock power pretty much, of course i don't know what power was putting before but there is no winning sound in any gear...and also, if the selector is worn why only in 3rd gear? i can shift perfectly in every gear except 3rd. I hope is fixable =/

Reaction score
Country
Does it do it more when cold? (i.e when you first set off etc)

Do you know what oil is in the box? I'd change to some GL4 fluid which is better for the syncros, I’m using Redline mt90 which has been good, overfilled box also.

3rd gear is the weakest link though so be careful, try not to put 3rd under too much hard acceleration.

Reaction score
Country
i'll have to check, but i think is the same independently if it is cold or warm. I've been thinking of using Redline lightweight shockproof, currently i'm using Motul but only 2 quarts, i will overfill it to 2.4 as i read on some other thread.

Reaction score
Country
mine does this too only just got it and thought it may just be normal. mine does it more when cold.

Reaction score
Country
Ok guys, i've taken the transmission to a repair place and here's what they found: worn selector, circlip of third was broken and started to eat the pinion and worn out synchros. I had the circlip soldered, selector regrinded and new synchros in, results: the transmission feels like new now!!! very happy with the results, going to jam in smurf blood aka redline lightweight shockproof from now on as well.

Reaction score
Country
Good stuff!

Your lucky if the circlip was already broke! Box could of sh*t itself at anytime really.

Hope it wasn't too expensive to fit...

Reaction score
Country
yeah, the mech said i was lucky i didn't f*cked the tranny up hehe. It only cost like 400 usd or so to do it, so it wasn't that bad actually.