What's new

what engine oil?

Reaction score
Country
Ok guys last time i done a oil change it was too thin and i got the cam ticking bad noise. My oil has leaked and i need the good stuff and the right stuff what's the best oil. What do you guys use? ps. i know people have probably asked this before alot sorry

Reaction score
Country
i use a mixture VR1Racing semi syth which has high temp resistance properties and 1ltr or Lucas oil stab synthetic to help keep a film over everything especially for cold start and oil starvation on hard cornering, and change every 3000k, since my car is a weekend one and every time it goes out it gets a good workout

And do NOT use engine oil flush, unless your engine is under 30k old, you will get oil leaks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
you were the man person i wanted to comment spoonman haha. I use mine as my everyday it's just where do i get it from? because mostly everywhere only sells castrol.. and my cars done 160,000kms btw

Reaction score
Country
Mineral = Short life oil
Synthetic = Long life oil

Both are the same at lubricating your engine, its the different additives in the oil that make one oil better then another,

truth about oils is this, synthetic is better cause it will last longer but mineral is better cause its cheaper, mineral change every 5k, synthetic every 10k, synthetic is twice the price of mineral

see where im going with this.. what ever oil you choose just dont let it get past the point where its properties are no longer functioning as they should, and that will depend on the oil, how you drive, how old your engine is, your ring condition meaning how much carbon your oil is removing from your cylinder walls. Did you get your oil temp over 100C if yes then change it, some oils are better at withstanding higher temps. on and on and on, i think you get the point

Reaction score
Country
you were the man person i wanted to comment spoonman haha. I use mine as my everyday it's just where do i get it from? because mostly everywhere only sells castrol.. and my cars done 160,000kms btw
i get mine from cheap as im fonterra staff so we get a hell of a discount from AutoOne. Also dont use cheap nasty filters as they will gunk up quickly and reduce oil flow, i buy a couple of these at a time save on postage, and they are easy to get off
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/air-filters/auction-508706745.htm

Reaction score
The other thing to remember about synthetic oil is it will out perform a mineral oil in a performance or modified vehicle, particularly when a turbo charger is bolted to it.

Nissan dealership service departments use on a stock S15 Nissan semi synthetic 7.5w-30w oil.

Always bare in mind that SR20 motors have small oil galleries so you should have a minimum weight of at least 5w or 10w

Reaction score
Country
at a stock tune a thinner oil is fine but the more you mod your engine and increase temp the thicker you should go, which is why I add in a stabilizer, some people would disagree with adding in a stabilizer but many race engine builders run it so it cant be bad

Reaction score
Country
Have you tried an Ester based oil Spoonman?
Not knowingly

funny you mentioned that as i have been looking into a much better product instead of the lucas products, problem is trying to get a good one means lots of money or just switching the lot over to something like Nismo 2212E which is good mix of ester based bits & bobs but it starts getting really expensive once you do that.

Reaction score
Country
year that would cost me $130 for 4ltr when my current choice is $60all up .......... $45 (retail $65-70) for 4ltr of valvoline VR1 and $15 for 1ltr of oil stab, granted it would last over twice the distance but my car does get a pounding which is why i go regular changes on semi syth, If i had a full on track car i would run something like that though

Reaction score
Does it not take a lifetime to warm up with that weight oil? Been thinking about going for a thicker oil on my S15 but unsure with winter coming up. :/

Reaction score
Guys, remember you need a lower weight oil for cold start ups, if it's to high you will have a moment of oil starvation on cold start up. SR20 engines have by comparisons small oil galleries and that is one of the reasons people have discribed them as "agricultural" when they start up cold.

I would use a 5w or 10w as a minimum weight and 40w to 50w as maximum.

Reaction score
Country
Royal Purple 10w40 user here and always been very happy. I'm based in QLD so quite warm weather normally, but no issues with cold starts either. RP is a little bit pricey is the only downside.

Harold at http://performancelub.com/ is the best price I've seen. :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I am using royal purple 10w-40. As OzJustin said, price is the downside.