What's new

Fitting an oil cooler, extra oil????

Reaction score
Country
Bit of a noob question but I am going to be fitting my Mocal oil cooler the weekend. It a 19 Row 235 Mocal unit without a filter relocation. My question is regarding increased oil capacity. I assume if my cooler holds at a guess 1 litre of oil then I will need an extra 1 litre of oil in the system??? What ever is left in the cooler after shutdown will not drain back into the sump so the fore I have in effect increased the capacity of my sump by one litre???

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to under or over fill my engine??

Reaction score
Country
Secondary question for myself:

When fitting the cooler, do you have to prime the oil cooler at all? I.E, fill it up with any oil by any means other than just putting it in the engine block and letting it flow around?

Reaction score
You wont need to fill the cooler,it will fill quickly once your oil gets up to the temperature and the thermostat opens up to the cooler. It will hold about 700mls of extra oil.

If you fill it before you fit it I guarantee you will get it everywhere.

If you don't drain it at oil change time just put the normal amount of oil in at fill up.

Reaction score
Country
fill to the high mark, run the engine for 1min, leave for 3 -4 min then check the level again and you will get there. Ive never known anyone to airlock there oil cooler, and if it were easy to do then there would be special instructions in cars with them from the factory about oil changes like gtr's and rx7s