What's new

Thinking of adding a screamer pipe is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
So I went to USC(ultimate street car) this weekend and there was alot of cars popping etc and asked my mate what it was and he said a screamer pipe so I wouldn't giving it a go to see if I like it but isit alot of work is it actually just when you hit the limiter when it pops or isit all the time becuase if it's all the time I'd probably get pulled over every five minutes.

So yeah would be good to know :).

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
You have to be running a external wastgate setup to have a screamer pipe. I had one on mine when I bought it and couldn't stand it, but its all about what floats your boat. It would only kick in when you came on boost by the way.

Reaction score
Country
You'd get pulled over A LOT. And S15AK already mentioned that you'd also have to have a external wastegate setup...

Reaction score
Country
Ahh really?well I haven't been pulled over once in the 2 years of owning it which is surprising to be honest haha but how would I go about a external waste gate ?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Sorry to sound harsh but do you even know what a screamer pipe is or what it does? If you have heard a car 'popping' from a screamer pipe then it has some issues. Either that or your mate doesn't have a clue what he's talking about either.

Ultimate Street Car (aka Ultimate Chav Meet) is not a good place to be getting inspiration from. Google or Youtube it.

Reaction score
Country
Ahh really?well I haven't been pulled over once in the 2 years of owning it which is surprising to be honest haha but how would I go about a external waste gate ?
If your car is stock (ish), you need a new exhaust manifold with wastegate outlet (500+ pounds) + External wastegate (250 pounds) + new turbo OR internal wastegate in stock turbo welded shut (stupid idea) (upwards of 500+ pounds) + Custom piping fabricated so as to not vent directly into engine compartment and therefore the cabin (250 pounds) + new water and oil lines to your new turbo (100 pounds) + New dump pipe (500+ pounds) = over 2 grand

All those prices are estimates as I obviously don't use pounds day to day, but yea, you're looking at a hell of a lot of money for just a screamer pipe, mate.

That popping you're hearing is probably just backfiring. The cars you're hearing doing that aren't tuned quite perfectly (if at all). Up your boost pressure just a tad and you'll run rich down low, viola, popping sound. A screamer pipe literally SCREAMS when you hit max boost. they're effing loud and damn pointless if you're not running massive power figures.

(Feel free to chime in anyone else. I have little to no hands on experience with this stuff, just thought I'd get this out there asap to avoid this thread getting nasty)

Reaction score
Country
Haha Craig that did make me laugh it was indeed ultimate chav meet and I didn't take my 15 if I did it would of been the only one there :O.but I wasn't getting inspiration from the place just wondered how it happened becuase it did make the cars sound crazy that's all .but if it's big money I think il skip that haha :)

Reaction score
Country
Actually I re-read your description and it sounds like a regular old rev limiter to me. Bee-r as an example of one.

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to sound harsh but do you even know what a screamer pipe is or what it does? If you have heard a car 'popping' from a screamer pipe then it has some issues. Either that or your mate doesn't have a clue what he's talking about either.

Ultimate Street Car (aka Ultimate Chav Meet) is not a good place to be getting inspiration from. Google or Youtube it.
Ultimate Chav External Waste Gate = wind down your window and at the same time your car comes on full boost just make a really loud waaarrrrrrrrt noise out the window

Reaction score
Country
Ultimate Chav External Waste Gate = wind down your window and at the same time your car comes on full boost just make a really loud waaarrrrrrrrt noise out the window
lol'd

Also, you can get turbo elbows which split the wastegate section, and the main exhaust section from the turbo. Seen them somewhere. so you've got a regular elbow with a branch coming off it. dividers inside obviously. don't know how well sealed they are, but apparently they're ridiculously loud and blat out flames. I thought about it, then changed my mind when i thought about burning the underside of my car and the sheer number of dB for a daily drive!

Reaction score
Country
you dont need an external wastegate to run a screamer we've got one on our s13 drift car stuck out of bonnet only did it for a laugh but looks cool : )

Jay

Reaction score
one of the japspeed bdc drift cars (shane's i think) runs screamer pipes through the bonnet. but as thats got a yank v8 under there not sure how valuable the info is.

i'll get my coat.....

Reaction score
Country
one of the japspeed bdc drift cars (shane's i think) runs screamer pipes through the bonnet. but as thats got a yank v8 under there not sure how valuable the info is.

i'll get my coat.....

It a VH45DE they use that they've twin turbo'd.