What's new

Steering rack

Reaction score
Country
Hello from the United States,

I have just a quick question for anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject. Recently my steering rack has begun leaking fluid into the boot. Unfortunately for me, the S15 was never sold Stateside, nor are American cars RHD. While trying to find a seal kit to do an overhaul I thought back to a few months ago when I added some steering fluid. I had been told by some local guys the car took Power steering fluid, so I did as told and used power steering fluid. Only now come to find out the FSM states to use ATF. Would mixing the power steering fluid and ATF have caused the leak? I'm thinking since the PS fluid is thinner it would leak through easier. Also does anyone know where I can purchase seals and boots for a rebuild? I'm having no such luck finding anything.

Cheers,

Austin

Reaction score
Country
really ive got PWSF in mine.... oops

finding anything in the states for a S15... FRsport do some stuff but i highly doubt OEM bits, RHDjapan and nengun are a good way to source OEM nissan parts, if you need part numbers just ask

Reaction score
Country
Well, I just sourced a rack on Ebay for only 125 quid plus 60 for postage. So not to bad, however, I wouldn't mind knowing for future reference.

Reaction score
ATF is pretty much the same as power steering fluid. Boiling points are the same. I would say the seals were already on the way out. Some times you can put a conditioner in the fluid which will soften the seals and give you a bit more life.

Reaction score
Country
Also, I have another question. Are the S14 and S15 steering rack bushings the same? I'm trying to buy energy suspension bushings, but I only see listings for s14.