What's new

Air in cooling system

Reaction score
Country
as the title says i am getting air it the coolant, i can hear it bubbling when i turn off the engine. when having a look tonight we noticed it only started about 10 seconds after turning off the engine.
the turbo lines have been replaced a few months ago because one of the water lines burst and it did get hot but i spotted the gauge going up and stopped straight away. i have been out driving nearly every day since then and it was fine for about 2 months and then this started happening.
anyone any ideas as to what it could be?

Reaction score
It's probably a bit of air in the cooling system that has moved to a spot where you can hear it bubbling. I would undo the bleed valve and bleed it off.

Reaction score
Country
Update on this.... The head gasket has now been replaced as I was told it was definetly that but it was ok. I changed the rad cap aswell today because we were thinking that it might be faulty and not letting the system build up pressure but that didn't work either. The engine is running at normal temperatures but when turned off the coolant will start to boil after a while, maybe 10-15 seconds after switching off the engine. I only have to drive a couple of miles and it will happen. It sounds like it is the coolant in the turbo but I'm not sure.
Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
I had a simlair problem and it turned out to be the pump. the blades on the stock pump are pressed onto the shaft, mine had come apart so the pump was not turning. Or i would check your stat as if that has failed which is quite possible if you say it has got hot in the past then try changing that. Pump costs around £60 and stat costs about £12 so quite a cheap fix. I would put money on it been either of those from your discription :)