What's new

Rear Wiper Won't Turn Off!

Reaction score
Country
Hellppp!

No matter what position the stalk is in, the rear wiper remains on full cycle.

I'm fully aware that it is 'probably' something shorting out, but the question is where? The motor assembly you see in the video looks brand new, and i've had a fiddle with that and all appears to be fine. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Could it be the switch that's gone on the stalk, and if so, how do i go about removing the stalk so i can have a look?

A video for people who like to watch videos:
http://youtu.be/QgxSwH3cYN0

Cheers

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I had this on my S14a, I never got to the bottom of it, then again I didn't try very hard :wack: I just pulled the fuse.

If you're on the sxoc have a quick search on there. I'm sure I found some info which suggested a short :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's the swamp water from when you tried to create an amphibious S15!

Reaction score
Country
the only REAL solution to corroded wiring is to run a new circuit, put a 12v feed to your wiper and sort out which pins do what then just run new wires to our switch, i doubt the stalk is the problem as they hardly ever are, if the issue is the wiper motor itself then just put a bung in the rear windscreen and forget about it unless you really really want a wiper on the back window

Reaction score
Country
Good plan spoonman! I've already got it bunged, but i need my rear wiper. The silvia is my daily and gets driven through regular storms haha. Its a nightmare reverse parking when its raining heavily.

Reaction score
Country
well heaps of people who like the "clean look" remove theirs so you should be able to source one easy enough

Reaction score
Country
Took mine off and still have it lying around. Long way to post though but if you get desperate...

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the offers guys! I'm going to get mine tested at some stage soon and if i need parts I'll be in touch! Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Country
Does anyone know if there is a relay in the circuit for the rear wiper? and if so, where is it?! I've checked all the relays under the bonnet, and theres none by the driver footwell, its all fuses :S

It really doesn't help that the service manual seems to be for a non JDM model which has no rear wiper. Ugh.

I dont want to just hook a battery up and start plugging things into the wiper motor because i dont want to plug something in the wrong place and short it..

Hellpppp!

Reaction score
Country
dig up the S14 service manual as that had a diagram for a rear wiper, cant see why they would make a completely different circuit and setup for the s15, found it under page 147 under EL section

Reaction score
Country
Sounds to me like it's earthing somwhere. I think the rear wiper is on an earth activation circuit. ( so power is always at the motor) find out which is your 12v in and what is your earth. Use a multimeter and check each wire to ensure there connected to what they should be :)

Reaction score
Country
Sounds to me like it's earthing somwhere. I think the rear wiper is on an earth activation circuit. ( so power is always at the motor) find out which is your 12v in and what is your earth. Use a multimeter and check each wire to ensure there connected to what they should be :)
Ok cheers, so i'm assuming if its an earth activation circuit, then surely with it always being on, it would be a problem inside the motor unit somewhere, something shorting or not earthing internally? I mean if the unit always has power, it must be earthed correctly to the chassis?

Reaction score
Country
jase........................................ run a new circuit, you have the electrical diagram right, and we all know your car has done some time in a salty swamp of some kind so trying to work with rusty corroded circuits will just make you pissed off

Reaction score
Country
haha... fiiineeeee!!! i'm just lazy and that seems like effort. I'm getting a winter run about in less than a month so the silvia will be off the roads :(
(but that means i can fix all the niggles without any time constraints)

Reaction score
Country
You just not best removing it? I've taken mine out and haven't missed it :)
Its been out for about 6months now, and i do miss it! Its my daily drive and i need to reverse either in or out of our windy narrow driveway, usually in the rain :(