What's new

problem help! noisy engine

Reaction score
Country
well this is a mystery it's not good, took it in again mechanic added some additives to the oil that helped alot it doesn't do it when im driving or been driving. But it still does it bad when the engines cold or i turn it off for a few minutes then start it. I tried replacing the VCT solenoid it didn't change anything, so somethings still not right and I have no idea what to do now?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Basically sounds like the variable valve timing sprocket (VCT). But their not cheap! You replaced the solenoid but it's the sprocket which rattles. Mine does it on start up for 1 second, it was after I changed to ester oil! ****ing stuff. I've changed back but too late the damage was done.

I won't spend 300 quid On something that is only alittle noisy.

Reaction score
Country
if you really are not sure on what you need to do take the car to ST HITEC, on the other side of the motorway from sylvia park, book it in with soichi and he will tell you straight away whats wrong and what you need to do

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
That sounds like some good advice as your mechanic who said your oil was too thin and squirters were drilled out, obviously hasn't much experience with sr20's. We all got learn somewhere but would take to an expert for diagnostics!