What's new

complete loss of boost while driving

Reaction score
Country
Hello S15 owners

i have a problem where my boost gauge will show boost for some time then completely drop off and show -7. I asked around and was advised it may be the spring in the wastegate actuator. As such i replaced this and the problems persists. I now have a feeling my turbo ( T25 bb) is goneeee... any advice or suggestions to fix my problem?

cheers

Abs

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
try another boost gauge. can you feel the boost change or is it just the gauge? Maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.

Reaction score
Is it while you are driving at a constant speed. Need a bit more information to provide a reasonable assesment.

Reaction score
Country
Meddler - that's a good idea to try a new gauge- i did take it out and give it a once over and make sure none of the circuitry looks shot and a good spray of contact cleaner just in case. so i dont think its the gauge worth trying tho. i think i should revisit all the vacuum hoses to look for any splits etc.

Auss15- yes while driving at constant speed but also happens pretty much at any time when accelerating, when standing still at idle. in 5th flooring it until the pedal hits the floor which i tried today it felt very under power and sluggish.

considering a new turbo and new vaccuum lines as a whole. recently installed a new front and dump pipe. Might be worth installing a new bleed valve perhaps that might be shot. i have a gfb bleed valve sitting around at home. But i dont want to install that and blow up the engine in the process.

i do want to apologise in advance im a newbie to turbo cars and cars in general i have done alot of reading and been bitten by car workshops ( exhaust shops, work shops here in Aus, doing less than par jobs, etc. the place that installed my front and dump pipe were so lazy as to just not bolt the front pipe to the dump pipe, leaving one bolt just sitting in there with not nut, so i have little faith in workshops atm)

folks at this stage i have a feeling its the turbo thats busted...

regards

Abs

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You haven't stated if you loose power when driving? Get rid of the bleed valve and get a electronic boost controller!

Get a new gauge but make sure you have all the intercooler pipes tight, all vac lines tight and then worry about a turbo.

Reaction score
Country
Is it the boost gauge that comes from the factory?

They have a reputation of becoming faulty and showing nothing sporadically with no apparent cause. Other times they work fine.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
From what you have told us I would:

1. Check every boost hose under the bonnet (especially the one to the boost pressure sender on the drivers side) take it off inspect it, they can hide cracks really well! Good opportunity to replace all the small vacume hoses with colourful aftermarket stuff
2. Try another or buy a new digital boost gauge

I wouldnt rush into replacing the turbo just yet unless you plan to upgrade anyway, I suspect it's a simple gauge fault or hose issue!

Reaction score
Auss15- yes while driving at constant speed but also happens pretty much at any time when accelerating, when standing still at idle. in 5th flooring it until the pedal hits the floor which i tried today it felt very under power and sluggish.

regards

Abs
I wouldnt be to concerned about sluggish in 5th gear,its a tall ratio and if you are running low boost and light mods it will be slow to react in 5th gear.

I'd start with the guage first and if that doesnt work, then work on the vacumm lines, tightening all clamps and squeezing the small boost hoses to look for splits

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the advice folks. ill be looking into the vacuum hoses first. so change them for good aftermarket silicon hoses or something of that sort. then have a look at sourcing a stock gauge that works for now. If anyone knows where to find the vacuum home diagram a link on here would be great

thanks again, will post on here how it all goes.

Abs

Reaction score
Country
So ive had a chance to get new vacuum hose and clamps and have a look at all the vacuum hoses that might cause any trouble. I did find a loose hose connection between the intake just after the airflow meter where it links upto the stock bleed valve. had to use a little bit of loctite( just a few little drops were suffcient) to keep it in there and replaced that hosing

Darren S15- i think you were on the ball with the boost pressure sensor on the drivers side. inspected and tidied that up( was in pretty good condition) but clamped where i could clamp then took it out for a test drive.

I think these might have been the issue- on the test drive it reached the stock boost levels fir the first time since ive had the car. popping just above the 7psi mark and felt pretty good. real test is when i head to work to see if the boost is maintained over the 45minute drive.

will let everyone know if it al worked out.

cheers

Abs

Reaction score
Country
So i havent updated this in a while.

So i still have an inconsistent boost reading. the hoses are fine and tight. the gauge works no leaks the last time i checked with my compressed hooked up to the intakes at about 6psi. i have a feeling it might be the boost solenoid. Now my stupid questions is are they also called a boost sensor? Where can i get a stock one without having to go to a dealer?

A

AdamB

Do you lose boost or is it just the gauge misreading?
Vacuum hose layout is in Nissan Workshop manual ( engine emission control system IIRC) (downloadable around here somewhere)
Anyone whose fitted Electronic Boost control will probably give you their OEM solenoid or check out `for Sale` section, ebay etc

Reaction score
Country
So is it worth then just getting electronic boost controller then? and tbh i think the gauge is misrreading because of some related issue to a connecting part eg solenoid or boost leak. im gonna need to take my front bumper off and check everything twice over again i think. but this is just my OCD of wanting everything to work kicking in.

J

john

this is exactly wat happened mine too about month ago and now turbo wont work at all and driving me mad dont really know much about turbos im new to it all ! mechanic has the car at the moment but soon as i have it back il check the wastegate and after that i just dont know so any help would be really appriciated!!

i have a problem where my boost gauge will show boost for some time then completely drop off and show -7. I asked around and was advised it may be the spring in the wastegate actuator. As such i replaced this and the problems persists. I now have a feeling my turbo ( T25 bb) is goneeee... any advice or suggestions to fix my problem?

cheers

Abs[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Country
Hi John

In my opinion there are few things that really need to be checked. firstly check all the vaccumm hoses arnt leaking air and causing boost leaks. Secondly double and triple check the teed off vacuum hose on the drivers side that goes to the boost gauge map sensor ( its the little black thing on the drivers side hanging off the cabin on the strut wall) its most probably that this hose has split. Thirdly check the wastegate actuator for any play. i did change mine after everything, but these 3 things together have fixed the problem and i get the full stock boost level at 0.7bar.

In saying that if the mechanic is of any caliber they will find these issues, which really have to be checked before changing the turbo. Iff u do need to swap out your turbo, always a good time for an upgrade. Hope this helps

cheers

Abs