What's new

Exhaust and Turbo

Reaction score
Country
As I'm new to the turbo scene haven't really known what to expect, I'm guessing that that stock turbo I have at the moment is a ball bearing turbo, but it seems to be making a hell of a lot of noise (that whirring sound that's definitely a ball bearing), I've also noticed that I've recently had a drop in turbo pressure, going from 0.6bar to just above 0.5, guy at work said that it sounds like I may have a hole in my exhaust, would this cause the drop in pressure or is my turbo starting to go? Obviously whichever the problem is, if its not both, id want to replace it with new parts which would be expensive, any ideas what it may be?

I'll post a video later when I'm home of the engine just idle, might give someone an idea who knows more than me, also may be able to check if i have any vvt rattle as im not really sure about that either

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Most likely turbo gaskets mate, is it screeching on full boost? Take the manifold heat shield off and see if you can see any black sooty marks around where it bolts to the turbo

Reaction score
Country
No idea mate, on the way home I'll see, wasn't aware of too high a screech but maybe, will it just be the gasket that needs changing?

Reaction score
You have an exhaust leak my friend, and I would put money on it being turbo to manifold gasket. If you replace it use new turbo bolts as well as new gasket. I would also look at your turbo oil and water lines while its out.

Reaction score
Country
Sounding like its gonna be a pricey fix unless I DIY it, anyone know what the gasket part number is? And what size the turbo bolts are? And if anyone's done it recently that could give me advice about where they got their parts and fitting?

How longs it likely to last without failing? I was gonna invest in a new turbo but it would be a few weeks before I had the money...

Reaction score
Country
its the 2nd one your after, if you can afford it i'd upgrade the manifold while you were at it and also the turbo oil/water lines while your there.

its a bit of a bitch of a job and your best off removing the turbo, and you will only want to do it once.

Reaction score
Country
Moneys the only problem with that, I'm gonna change all the turbo gaskets as its relatively cheap to get the gasket turbo kit :) once I've got the money I'll be going for a new turbo so that'll all have to come out anyway, where I'll get braided lines and new mani and turbo back exhaust, so I'll just do the fix for now