What's new

what mods for upping boost?

Reaction score
Country
Hey all I want to know what I will need to do so that it's safe for me to increase my boost. Not sure on what mods will need to be done so its safe and damage the engine etc

Reaction score
Country
nothing is really needed to up your boost other than a boost controller but you will get the best results with a full (turbo back) exhaust system, front mount intercooler, updated fuel pump and induction kit.

if I were you I'd get those first if you don't have them already, not sure where the fuel cut is on the 15 but add a chip to that as well from a trusted company (not a cheap eBay one) or custom map will see the best results :)

Reaction score
Country
I wouldn't up the boost much on a standard car. Basic mods are an uprated fuel pump, cooler plugs, boost gauge, boost controller, super unleaded fuel only (97+ octane).

If you add a free flow exhaust you could run 13-14psi of boost until you get a chip or a remap.

Any more than 15psi of boost I'd think about upgrading to a fmic even though the s15's wmic is pretty good :)

Reaction score
Country
agreed, if I were going to up the boost I would do it properly with all the mods installed mentioned above and custom map it to 1.2 bar and have fun :)

you will notice a huge difference if you do it all at once and should see (providing your car is healthy) 300+ HP with that amount of boost :)

Reaction score
Country
depends how good your mapper is and fuel your using. 99 Ron here with a decent map and those figures
are about on the money for an sr in good nik.

Reaction score
Country
with the de you might be able to get to 14psi with the turbo but 10pis a bit more like it with the de, you will need to up your clutch as the de one wont take it, and the mixture will need to be richer to help try to keep the pistons cool.
not sure whats in your car currently, can you give us a list?

Reaction score
Country
1 bar with the above mods should see you up at around 280bhp 1.2bar with larger injectors could see you over 300bhp without to much hassle :)

Reaction score
Country
fair enough, I would be happy at running 480cc injectors at roughly 82% duty to see 300 but the more cc you got the better.

Reaction score
Country
Yea mines a sr20de+t so not sure if it will stuff the de engine. I have a front mount, upgraded exhaust, evolink g3 ecu and running on 98 RON pump gas which is the best you can get here in new zealand. I'm on 6 psi atm 138kw 190hp atm. Is it safe to just put it up with a boost tap/bleed valve?

Reaction score
Country
problem you have with a de+t setup is that the compression ratio is much higher therefore more likely to melt a piston with savage det. The head on the DE is actually better (larger cams and throttle body) so in theory you should be able to get more power.

Unfortunately the block isnt as well suited to runnig boost. The compression ratio is much higher 9.5:1 or 10:1 depending on engine year and spec with high comp pistons and no oil squirter's on the pistons to keep everything cool.

At that PSI you should be ok, problems happen when you start to go beyond 7psi as a rule of thumb but there are people who have run higher psi with great results. higher compression means that for the boost level you will make more response and more hp than the equivalent boost on det engine. Sounds good, but in reality its more likely that things will go pop.

My advice if you want to run more boost is buy a DET block from a VVT sr and chuck your head on it. you will get away with using the de ignition and loom if thats what your using already but wouldnt push that setup past 1.0 bar because the de ignition really isnt up to the task (providing its a T28 or T28r turbo) and thats the reason Nissan use coilpacks on the DET sr's.

If you want to up the boost with your setup you would really need to take it to your mapper and do it on a rolling road while getting it mapped and turn it up a little at a time. but again, i would save your cash and do a block swap to be safe.

Do not just up the boost on your car please, it will end in tears if you mess it up.

Reaction score
I would invest in a decent boost controller, its more reliable then a boost T and it will prevent any spiking which could kill the DE. I wouldn't go above 7psi with a DE motor

Last edited: