What's new

Help please !

J

J.C.AUTOSPARES

Hello I hope that I could get some help,
My s15 started getting hot it got to nearly red slight steam from rad but reserve bottle was boiling. I had to put 2 litres of water in it after but oil seems to be at same
Level so don't think its mixing, it seem to have pressure in rad and the top of the rad within 3-5 mins ticking over is red hot it's a alloy rad which I brought second hand there is also a small like winning noise at front of the engine, I'm hoping head gasket ok

Reaction score
Country
Possible water pump I would say from the wine. Pick them up for around £60 new off flebay :) as for the loss of water check the Turbo coolant lines as they always need replacing. They tend to crack from the constant expansion and retraction from being next to the turbo.

Reaction score
Country
I had the same issue last month and was dead set it was a head gasket as I was losing coolant but there were no puddles after I had parked. Turned out to be a simple turbo water line but because of how it was split, it only dumped water when I was boosting hard. That's probably your issue.

Reaction score
Country
Either get that second hand rad professionally flushed or get a new one, a ebay cheap will be fine, (unless this is a track car). and always use a engine coolant flush before topping it up with new coolant. Never risk your cars engine by being a tin arse with the rad.

Get a length of garden hose about half a meter, put one end to your ear and the other move past the water pump and then away again, if the specific noise gets really loud when its next to the water pump then you may have a stuffed pump. But before you go pulling bits off, do this just in case you have air locked the pump, drain the whole system again making sure you remove the air relief bolt & the water drain bolt on the side of the block, then put it back together in this order, 1st close rad drain plug & cylinder drain bolt (put thread sealant on bolt) but leave the air relief bolt out, 2nd refill the system until coolant comes out the air relief hole, 3rd put that back in and top up the rad, give the hoses a bit of a squeeze and try to get as many air bubbles out as you can, only fill the overflow tank up to the low mark.
Now start and let the engine warm up again, if the noise in the pump is still there and the car heats up again then look at getting a new water pump, do this with the car jacked up and have a look underneath at your turbo lines, as mentioned they may crack and piss water out, if you replace these do NOT use cheap crap.

Last edited:
J

J.C.AUTOSPARES

Much appreciate your info cheers, any chance of pictures of drain plugs locations please? I have got braided oil and water lines also stainless elbow and manifold to put in yet anyways, I just don't understand how in just a couple of mins the top of rad is boiling hot un touchable, she hasn't been run in over 6 months since accident it's took me that to be fit enough to repair

Reaction score
Sounds more like the water pump to me maybe a thermostat that's stuck in the closed position too.. both these problems can occur if a car is sat for a while..

J

J.C.AUTOSPARES

That's when I started repairing will upload new pic it's nit brilliant yet still lots to do but now present problems need resolving the bonus usage is all on road as still MIT until August so chucked years tax on her

Reaction score
Country
all the info i told you can be found in the S15 manual the .pdf document that can be downloaded from this site, it also has diagrams showing where every thing is

Reaction score
Country
also have you taken your thermostat out and put it in a pot of cold water and brought it to the boil to see if its opening and closing with the change in water temp?

J

J.C.AUTOSPARES

Haven't had chance yet but will put couple of hours in on her this week, many thanks for all your advice cheers.

Reaction score
Couple of things I have noticed, no fan shroud, not having that with the stock clutch fan will be doing you no favours in keeping the temps down. Have you checked your clutch fan is not damaged, hows the water pump ?

J

J.C.AUTOSPARES

Is it best to have the shroud there or not ? As I did buy one but arrived broken

Reaction score
Clutch fan ?
Yep your cooling fan on the block,it's clutch activated when it gets to a certain temperature( I think its about 90c but I could be wrong) it engages fully,at the same speed as the crankshaft, to cool the radiator. If the engine coolant is operating at normal temps it engages about 25% to reduce power loss through drag on the crankshaft.

Yes if your using the stock fan, put the shroud back on.

Last edited: